Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2008 18:00

LogonUI.exe - Bad Image error message

After downloading a Windows Update and restarting my computer (3 month-old Dell Inspiron 1721 with Vista Home Premium 32-Bit), it started showing error messages when logging into Windows, in Windows itself and when shutting down the computer. I am not able to access any programs (like Control Panel, etc.), not even in safe mode.

The error message is titled "LogonUI.exe - Bad Image" with the following content:
C:\Windows\system32\WTSAPI32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

After clicking "OK" a few times it gives me the same error message, but with different titles like:
"ehtray.exe - Bad Image" or "GoogleDesktop,exe - Bad Image" or DSAgent.exe - Bad Image".

I have no idea what caused this error or how to fix it. Anyone that has suggestions or been through the same issues, please contact me.
I much appreciate it!
Niels

January 8th, 2008 12:00

Hello Hammer78:

The reason why you are getting this is because there are certain programs that may change the configuration for the system files and can change the location for the files in the registry as well. I would suggest you to use the Vista OS CD, boot from the disk, enter into the recovery options and run startup repair. Reboot the computer and check for any changes, if you are still having the same problem, try to go one more time to the recovery options and run a system restore. If that is not working, probably up to now, the best solution will be to run the pcrestore from F8 menu. but you will loose everything on the system and get it back to factory defaults. To make a more deep research on this could you please include the set of programs you installed after you received the computer?

Thank you.
Hope this helps, please post it here.

2 Posts

January 8th, 2008 20:00

Hi Abel,

Thanks for jumping in and lending me a hand! I don't mean to write a novel, but call me an advanced beginner ;-) I don't want to leave helpful information out.

As you suggested I used the original OS CD and re-booted. Upon entering "recovery options" it gave me a list where  I am supposed to highlight the OS of my choice that I wish to recover. Unfortunately that list is empty. It suggests that I press the button "Load Drivers" to go find my specific OS. It then opens a folder on the Boot Drive showing subfolders and a few unknown files to me.

As I wasn't able to choose a specific OS I continued and ran "Startup Repair". It wasn't able to automatically repair it and the diagnostics gave me the following error: Root Cause > Hard Disk could not be found, even if hard disk is installed, it is not responding.

I then tried "System Restore". It won't run and only gives me a warning message stating: To perform offline System Restore you must specify which Windows Installation you would like to restore. For example: if installation located in C:\Windows should be restored, enter the following command: rstrui.exe /OFFLINE:C:\Windows

This is beyond my knowledge. Does this still sound familiar to you?
Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Here is a list off the top of my head for what I have installed on the computer since I got it in October:

- Dell Printer
- MS Office Home& Student
- Dell WebCam Manager
- Roxio
- MCAfee
- Lojack (Where I had to reinstall MCAfee again due to interference issues between the two)
- Audigy Sound
- MS Money
- Yahoo Music Box
- Dell Back-up and Restore Center
- Dell System Customization Wizard (This shows in my Start Menu and I have never seen this program before. When I click it it says that the shortcut to welcome.exe no longer works and tries to delete the shortcut.)

Again, thank you so much for your help.
Hammer78

No Events found!