Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2006 17:00

McAfee Personal Firewall (and VirusScan) Update Harassment

I am continually being harassed on my Dell 8400/XP Pro by the McAfee Security Center which sends a pop up every session saying that my subscription to Personal Firewall Plus 6 has expired, and I can either execute a link to Renew My Subscription or Continue What I Was Doing. This gets old very fast. (In fact, it used to do it for VS 9, but I bought and installed an OEM version of VS 10 for ten bucks on ebay with some hardware, and hopefully I have killed the VS messages for 365 days).

I DO NOT want to renew my Personal Firewall Plus (why would a firewall need an update or a subscription anyway?).

Does anyone know what program causes the pop-up? Is it removable without damaging anything else?

Shouldn't we all be able to live in peace without our own system pop-ups?

The services I am running, relating to McAfee, include the following exes: mcagent, mcdetect, mcTskshd, mcshield, mcupdmgr, mcupdui, McVSEscn, mcvsshld, oasclnt, mpfagent, mpfservice, and mpftray. I think it might be one of the last 3, but I don't know what service each executes.

Does anyone have a clue?

549 Posts

March 25th, 2006 21:00

rbenjam 

Make sure you have unistalled all remnants of Firewall plus.Start in

control panel then search for leftovers and delete.

Be sure that everything you get rid of is part of the Mcafee Firewall Plus.

Just a idea.  Good luck.

6 Posts

March 25th, 2006 23:00

@chasbox wrote:
rbenjam Make sure you have unistalled all remnants of Firewall plus.Start incontrol panel then search for leftovers and delete. Be sure that everything you get rid of is part of the Mcafee Firewall Plus.Just a idea. Good luck.

Thanks, chasbox, for the advice; however, I am trying to keep MPF on my computer (as I assume that even in its unupdated state, it is perfoming a valid function), without having the annoyances of the constant requests from McAfee to update.

549 Posts

March 26th, 2006 00:00

rbenjam

Another idea. The next time it pops up, open it and see if you can unsubscribe from getting these alerts. It might be in the small print on the page somewhere. Good luck

549 Posts

March 26th, 2006 15:00

Hi 

both my Mcafee AV and Firewall run out soon. I got lucky when i went to Costco.

They had Mcafee AV and Firewall newest versions bundled for $ 39.99 with  $ 20 rebate.

I already received the rebate.  Not bad.

428 Posts

March 26th, 2006 15:00

I get those messages also whenever the subscription is up. A couple of years ago I tried to figure out how to remove the reminder for firewall while leaving the program on my computer but I never came up with a way to do it. The next low price deal I saw for the McAfee package(viruscan + firewall+ ?) I bought, so of course that stopped the reminders. The price after rebates was very low and that's what I've doing each year since.

Ken

6 Posts

March 27th, 2006 00:00

I love it. Truly $19.99 for "protection," if ya know whatti mean.

26 Posts

March 27th, 2006 03:00

Hi,

I can't say for sure but mcupdmgr sounds like the update manager, try disabling that in msconfig.  If that stops the problem you can probably turn it off in services or the registry.  If your using mcafee's AV or other products you will probably be stopping those updates too.

LDB

6 Posts

March 27th, 2006 17:00

You may be right, but this would be dangerous. I am trying to keep the VirusScan updates coming, but close off the Personal Firewall messages. So I don't think I want to disable this file.

549 Posts

March 27th, 2006 19:00

HI
I have to tell you, that i been lucky with Mcafee.
No major problems with the the product in the two years i`ve been using it.

428 Posts

March 27th, 2006 19:00

Well, you may just have to accept that sometimes you just can't get something for nothing.

6 Posts

March 28th, 2006 12:00

I did check. Nothing there.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 1st, 2006 19:00

If you have McAfee Security Center installed, open it and click "Updates" at top of the window.
Click Configure button
Click Advanced button
Uncheck "enable all alerts"
Uncheck "alert me when a product update occurs"
etc...

Ron

6 Posts

April 21st, 2006 17:00

@RoHe wrote:
If you have McAfee Security Center installed, open it and click "Updates" at top of the window.
Click Configure button
Click Advanced button
Uncheck "enable all alerts"
Uncheck "alert me when a product update occurs"
etc...

Ron

Thanks, Ron, I did try to make the adjustments to the McAfee Security Center just as you suggested without luck. Every day, the message comes up, and I have to send it away by clicking "Continue What I Was Doing."

2 Posts

April 21st, 2006 17:00

Any idea how to buy printer  ink for cheaper prices???  I have the Dell all in one 924.

Any idea's would be great.  Thx,

Jay

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 21st, 2006 18:00

rbenjam - So why not just uninstall Personal Firewall and use something free like ZoneAlarm? That's what I did on my 8400.

BTW: firewalls do have to be updated from time to time, just like any other software. They find better ways to do it, or to fix a bug or hole, or to block new ways to attack your PC. ZoneAlarm has come out with several (free) updates since I started using it.

JC64- Why the heck did you post a question about ink cartridges in the middle of this thread about McAfee software in the Software-Other Software forum? I see you're a new member here, so how about learning a little forum ettiquite? Please post your questions in the appropriate forum. In your case, the Printers-Dell Inkjet Printers forum. And please don't jump into the middle of someone else's thread with a totally unrelated question, start your own thread. Thanks.

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 04-21-200601:03 PM

No Events found!