Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2004 00:00

McAfee trial software -- is it worth it to renew?

Hi,

The McAfee trial software that came with my 600m is going to expire at the end of November. My question is whether or not Norton Antivirus is better than McAfee. I like the McAfee program because it has the antivirus, firewall, etc, all rolled into one, I can get live updates, etc. But, it is more expensive to renew McAfee than it would be to simply purchase Norton.

If I were to purchase Norton, would I have any trouble removing McAfee and setting up Norton? I'm curious because on the main screen of my McAfee program, it has the Dell logo on it. I'm worried that a non-Mcafee product won't run as well on my laptop. Are McAfee and Norton fairly similar in the way in which they run on your computer? Do they have similar functions/features? For my Dell laptop, is one better than the other?

Thanks for you input,

Stephan

600m
1.5 GHz Pentium M
14.1" SXGA display
ATI 64MB Video
Win XP Home
512 MB RAM

Message Edited by v.stephan on 11-03-2004 07:17 PM

18.8K Posts

November 4th, 2004 00:00

v.stephan,

You asked, "Are McAfee and Norton fairly similar in the way in which they run on your computer? Do they have similar functions/features? For my Dell laptop, is one better than the other?"

Yes, they are very similar with similar functions and features. You should have no difficulty uninstalling McAfee and installing Norton if you choose to change. Neither is "better" than the other. Each has about the same number of devotees among Dell users, both laptop and desktop users.

495 Posts

November 4th, 2004 17:00

I also have Mcafee which came pre-installed with my XPS.

Based on what I have read,  Norton takes up more resources,  and tends to slow down your system.

Some reviews even claim Mcafee has better virus detection and deletion than Norton,  but this is debatable.

I am staying with Mcafee (antivirus and firewall)  as there is no noticeable interference with my programs.

However, if you think that Mcafee is causing your system some problems, then maybe Norton might be worth trying.

495 Posts

November 5th, 2004 16:00

"McAfee kept asking me to reply to 3 pop-up boxes for every virus that arrived"

I get the rare virus while surfing - and in each instance I only get 1 pop-up box saying Mcafee has cleaned the virus,  but that I should scan the entire hard-drive now.

What are your 3 pop-up boxes?

66 Posts

November 5th, 2004 16:00

I've replaced McAfee Antivirus with Norton because McAfee kept asking me to reply to 3 pop-up boxes for every virus that arrived rather than my being abe to say "delete every virus that gets sent to me."  On busy days, it could take a quarter of an hour to click on all these.

In addition, McAfee's Spamkiller is just awful.  Norton or Mailwasher do a much better job.  In fact, having no spam killer at all is better than the McAfee product

66 Posts

November 5th, 2004 18:00

The 3 pop up boxes are something like

1 I have detected a virus - do you want to delete it or clean it or carry on

2 Do you want to run the virus scan of your entire machine

3 Something else

What's even more annoying is that, if a virus arrives while you're running the virus scanner, it asks if you want to run the virus scanner

85 Posts

November 24th, 2004 00:00

Check out this site for Anti-Virus apps tested:

http://www.hackfix.org/miscfix/icons-av-all.shtml

It will take a while to load on IE but not so bad with Firefox. On my other system I like to use Avast free. It will even scan Divx files which no other will.

2K Posts

November 24th, 2004 09:00

I used to have Norton, (desktop)but went to Free antivirus Program. I used AVG, but they changed to a different version, so I am now using AVAST. (excellent free programs, they have paid versions too)

(I did renew McAfee on my Laptop.)

But it is entirely up to you. :)
No Events found!