Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 11th, 2006 01:00

Mcafee broke media player!!!

I removed media player from my Mcafee firewall internet applications list, so that the next time it attempted to use the internet I would know. Now media player doesn't even start at all! I am quickly becoming very annoyed with mcafee, which seems to try and interfere with everything going on with my computer. I have winxp home on an inspiron 6400. I am sure that media player stopped working right after I fiddled with mcafee. How do I get media player to work again? Thanks for your help.

Tommo

4.8K Posts

July 11th, 2006 02:00

Tommasg,

The easiest way to undo the changes that you have made to your system is though System Restore.  Click Start -> Run and type in MSConfig.  Click OK.  Click the button for Launch System Restore.  Choose to Restore My Computer to an Earlier Time.  Click Next.  Choose the day just before you made the changes to your system.  Click OK.  Sit back and watch.  The system will restart and all should be well.

Steve

12.7K Posts

July 11th, 2006 02:00

Yes Mcafee is junk!  On new dells you have to register this junk software before you can even remove this junkware. Yes remove it and use free software that works better.  AVG free anti-virus    Zonealarm free firewall,   Spybot adware remover......  all great software without all the bloat.

215 Posts

July 11th, 2006 12:00

Message Edited by gus82570 on 08-07-200612:15 AM

459 Posts

July 11th, 2006 12:00

What about PC-Cillin anti virus and security?

Sherr

3 Posts

July 12th, 2006 11:00

Thanks for your responses, but is system restore really the only way to fix this, seems like using a baseball bat to swat a fly. Do you think removing mcafee will help, or has it actually done damage to my media player install?

Tommo

4.8K Posts

July 12th, 2006 11:00

Tommasg,

It is very possible that there are other ways to fix this issue.  System restore simply restores your computer to an earlier batch of settings and will restore some critical Windows files if they have been modified.  In this context, since this is the only change that you have made, it's use would be a simple "undo".  The analogy of using a baseball bat to swat a fly would be more like formatting your hard drive to fix this issue.  Uninstalling McAfee would also be more extreme than a system restore.  You could try downloading and reinstalling Media Player from Microsoft, although, based on the description of how this problem occurred, I doubt that there is anything wrong with Media Player.  If you do not like the results of a System Restore, you can just as easily undo the system restore. 

The suggestions offered here are just that -- suggestions.  Consider the options offered.  In some cases, they might be valid.  In other cases, they might not fit your particular circumstances or need.  At the very least, they should point you in the direction of a correct resolution. 

Steve
No Events found!