Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2005 17:00

Media center questions

I got a demension 8400 last year.  It has MCE which I have not used yet.  I got a remote kit that has a remote and a little black box that you  plug into a usb and then 2 separate holes I am not sure what you plug into but it has a little wire with it.  Anyway, is that the tv tuner?  I know my computer has a spot in back to plug a tv cable into and it is audio/video in and out.  I noticed on this fourm a long time ago I asked about the media center extender.  I got the wireless router someone told me to get that will work with the extender,  My computer has....3.2 ghz, 1 GB ram, , media edition 2002 with service pack 2.  I am not sure what else you would need to know about the computer. 

What is the extender for?  What EXTRA's do I need to hook everything up?  Which extender should I get?  As I said I have the wireless router I was told to get.  I have regular cable, not dish or satalite.    i am ordering my son a new computer for Christmas.  this is what it is...

Dell Dimension E510 SeriesIntel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 w/HT Technology (3.0GHz,800FSB)Operating SystemGenuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 EditionMemory1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (4x256M)KeyboardDell USB KeyboardMonitorFREE UPGRADE!! 19 inch E193FP Analog Flat PanelVideo Card128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemoryHard Drive160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™Floppy Drive and Media ReaderNo Floppy Drive IncludedMouseDell® 2-button USB mouseNetwork CardIntegrated Intel® PRO 10/100 EthernetModem56K PCI Data Fax ModemAdobe SoftwareAdobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0CD ROM/DVD ROMSingle Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capabilitySoundIntegrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capabilitySpeakersDell A215 SpeakersOffice Software (not included in Windows XP)Microsoft Office Basic - Includes Word, Excel and Outlook emailAnti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed)McAfee SecurityCenter with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-monthsHardware Warranty1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty SupportDial - Up Internet Access6 Months of EarthLink Internet Access IncludedMiscellaneousAward Winning Service and SupportFinancial SoftwareNo QuickBooks package selected- Includes limited use trialOperating System Backup & RecoveryPC Restore recovery system by SymantecTV Tuners and Remote ControlsSingle TV Tuner + Remote Control - watch and record TV on your PCDell Digital EntertainmentStarter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital Music, Photo and Game experience
Is there any need to get him the tv tuner too since I already have one (If that is what the little black box is)?  I don't expect to use both at once but would that work the same as a dule tuner?  I do believe my DH will be using the new computer too so he might want it.  Would it be ok to get 512 mb and 80 gb instead of what is listed?  I will be putting video from digital video camera into my computer and I want the tuner so I can watch and record tv on my computer.  If I am watching tv on my computer, will it interfere with the vcr or dvd on the regular tv?  Thanks

10 Posts

December 5th, 2005 17:00

I did just figure out that the black box is NOT a tuner so what IS a tuner?  All i know is there is a spot to hook up cable in the back of my computer.  So i guess I definitely want to order my son's system with the TUNER whatever it is.  Thanks.  I alread bought a computer before this one and sent it back because it didn't have what I thought on it.  It is confusing to me.  My hubby is serving in Iraq right now so  he is not around to answer computer questions and hook things up for me.

3.2K Posts

December 5th, 2005 20:00

3.2K Posts

December 5th, 2005 21:00

What is the extender for?  What EXTRA's do I need to hook everything up?  Which extender should I get?  As I said I have the wireless router I was told to get.  I have regular cable

An extender allows you to access media ( music or video ) that is stored on the pc and play it on a TV   You would need a way to network, either wired or wireless.  Linksys makes a dandy extender

Is there any need to get him the tv tuner too since I already have one (If that is what the little black box is)? 

If you wish to hook up the second MCE to the cable service, yes . . you need a tuner in it.  I expect the little black box is the reciever for the remote control

I don't expect to use both at once but would that work the same as a dule tuner? 

A dual tuner will let you hook up two cable connections to the same tuner . . so that you can watch one channel and record another one.

Would it be ok to get 512 mb and 80 gb instead of what is listed? 

The more memory you have the smoother video will run . . 512 is on the low side for video rendering.  The larger hard drive you have the more video you can store . . 80 would be very low for that.

If I am watching tv on my computer, will it interfere with the vcr or dvd on the regular tv? 

Not if it is hooked up right and you use a high quality line splitter for the cable.

Hope this helps . .

3.2K Posts

December 6th, 2005 01:00

You are welcome . . and take care!

10 Posts

December 6th, 2005 01:00

Thanks a bunch.  You answered all my questions.

Rebecca:smileyvery-happy:

12 Posts

December 25th, 2005 20:00

I am supposed to have the dual tuner but I can't figure out if I do. Can't ID the card in device manager and can't figure out how to record one channel and watch another. I have the XPS 400 with media center

3.2K Posts

December 25th, 2005 23:00

Look on the back of the tower where the tv cable attaches . . if there are two places to plug in the cable, then you have a dual tuner

12 Posts

December 26th, 2005 00:00

Thanks I'll call Dell. My order online says I did request the dual tuner (and payed for it)

932 Posts

December 26th, 2005 04:00

Not so fast. A dual tuner may only have one coax (standard cable 75ohm) input. The signal is split into two internally, and then sent to each tuner.

It would likely have two s-video inputs though (for external tuners such as digital cable boxes or satellite receivers).

Message Edited by CTskydiver on 12-26-2005 01:45 AM

2.5K Posts

December 26th, 2005 12:00

Double not so fast.  A dual tuner can have only one s-video input too.  Here's the Hauppauge TV Receiver WinTV-PVR-500MCE dual tuner.  Note that the top coax connector is for the FM antenna.  This has one TV-In and one S-Video.  Confusing, heh?

Dave

3.2K Posts

December 26th, 2005 14:00

Well . . Hush my mouth! . . learn something every day!!:smileywink:

12 Posts

December 26th, 2005 15:00

I know. Took the cover off, got on the floor with a penlight and a magnifying glass and on a tiny sticker read Emuzed Angel dual TV tuner. I was amused. I read about the card on the net and it supports Media center 2005 specifically. I still can't see how to record one show and watch another. I think I've researched this well on the net. can't find the info. Also my Dell 20" widescreen has PIP.

932 Posts

December 27th, 2005 06:00

Dave,

You got me! In the case you don't have an antenna or basic cable as your video source, I guess you get one s-video quality external tuner and one (only) rca quality external tuner. I guess that's OK if one of your digi-boxes doesn't have s-video out, but I wouldn't recommend that if it did. I do wish that Dell's cards came with FM tuners, though. That's cool - and I noticed most all retail cards have them. Guess I'll have to make do with the XM stations on my DirecTV.

Sleeperguy,

What type of TV programming to you subscribe to? If it is digital satellite or premium cable, you need two boxes from your provider.

12 Posts

December 28th, 2005 00:00

I have COX Cable. My digital box with HBO is is another room. However, My Sony Vega tv has PIP and two tuners inside so you just hook the cable and it splits the signal. Also as a point of interest my kid got XBOX 360 and uses it as a media extender and he can change channels on the computers tuner while he is up there whether I even have the tv up and running down here in the den. By the way I just got this XPS400 Pentium D 830. 6800 Nvidia. Angel dual tv tuner media center 2005 Rollup 2. 20" widescreen.I love it. would be nice with a FM tuner though.

932 Posts

December 28th, 2005 06:00

The computer's dual tuner should split the basic cable signal just like your TV's PIP tuners do. Setting up the Media Center should let you record two shows at once.
No Events found!