Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SG

October 27th, 2003 17:00

Need Help Reformatting

I have a Dimension 4100 and OS Win Me. Can someone tell me how to reformat it? I an new so the more specific you are the more it would help. Thank you.

18.8K Posts

October 27th, 2003 19:00

Sincere Gnome,

You will need an emergency boot floppy diskette. You can make on by going to Start|Settings|Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs|Startup Disk tab or download one from here.

Restart the computer with that disk in the drive. At a DOS prompt type format c: and . Once the C:\ partition is formatted you can reinstall Windows ME using the procedure given here.

October 28th, 2003 01:00

ok thank you. Someone said somethning about deleting the c drive and then you have to create it again... Is this true? If so can you tell me how to do that.

18.8K Posts

October 28th, 2003 03:00

Sincere Gnome,

When you install Windows XP you have the option of deleting the C:\ partition and then recreating it. For Window ME the method for doing this is using a program called FDISK, which is also on the emergency boot diskette. Instructions for running FDISK can be found here. (Ignore the link to download a boot diskette in that document, it is outdated.)

November 3rd, 2003 22:00

I also tried to restart the computer with the disk in the a drive... but nothing showed up and the computer just started like normal..?

November 3rd, 2003 22:00

Can you still format the computer without using the fdisk?
No Events found!