Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2007 10:00

Need to disable McAfee...

I was told I need to disable McAfee virus protection to do a clean install of some drivers. How do I do that? There isn't a "Stop" option on the console and trying to kill it from Task Manager doesn't work.

12.1K Posts

September 22nd, 2007 11:00

I don't have McAfee but with my anti virus ( Free version ) I can right click my mouse on the icon in the lower right side of the monitor ( Systems tray ) and at the bottom of the box that appears it will give me an option to stop the program.  See if yours has the same option

12.1K Posts

If that is not the cats meow.  All the anti virus software I have ever used has one.  That is just plain dumb.  Make sure you check each option again to see if its not hidden some where.  If you still cannot do this. Go ahead and install the new program and or driver anyway.  Many times it will not mess up. 

Also think of another anti virus software.  I stopped using McAfee and Nortons a long time ago because they are resourse hogs and too many free anti virus software programs to choose from such as Avast and AVG

14 Posts

Unfortunately - no.

There are links/options for Open Security Center, Updates, Scan, customer support and other stuff, but I can't stop the program from the tray.

14 Posts

September 22nd, 2007 14:00

This is the console of the McAfee protection suite I have....version 10, maybe?

12.7K Posts

September 22nd, 2007 19:00

Use msconfig to take it out of startup and reboot.

To re enable it add it back to startup in msconfig and reboot.

No Events found!