Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2005 15:00

Netzero HiSpeed / Conflict with McAfee

Hi,
I have dial up Netzero HiSpeed - and lately it has been running somewhat slower than last month - the had me run a log file for them - have now said a conflict with McAfee - that I should disable all while on the Internet - I know that is not a good option - contacted McAfee - online help - they had me do a bunch of things and now my system really seems fouled up.  Sent email help to McAfee about problem - have not heard back from as of yet - thanks for any help.

Ginnie::

December 8th, 2005 22:00

Ginny,  Use the restore function of WindowsXP to go back to a time when things worked OK.  Slowing down may indicate that you have adware/spyware on your system and not a conflict at all.  The Netzero no support advice was terrible.  You should download Microsoft's anti-spyware (free) program and run it.  The only thing you may have that causes a conflict is to use the Netzero antispyware program.  Don't use it.  Also turn off the Windows firewall and only use Mcafee's security suite.

15 Posts

December 9th, 2005 14:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - if I use the XP restore - will I lose other things that have been setup - I use ad-aware for spyware.

18.8K Posts

December 9th, 2005 15:00

ginnpr,

System Restore will remove any programs that you have installed since the restore point was created. It will not remove any personal data.

In addition to Ad-aware you should use (as a minimum) Spybot Search and Destroy (available here and Microsoft AntiSpyware (available here). They detect things that Ad-aware misses (and conversely).

15 Posts

December 9th, 2005 16:00

Thanks again - do I need both of those spyware programs - or is the Microsoft ok by itself.

December 9th, 2005 21:00

You should run all three.  I personally use Spysweeper which is the best of all the spy detectors.  It even catches "rootkit" programs.  However, it is not free.
No Events found!