Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2008 13:00

No Browser History (IE7 Vista SP1)

I have moved my history folder from C:\Users\user\etc to D:\History

I have checked in the registry - shell folders and User shell folders and that looks fine and also opened hidden folders in windows explorer and the folder is set up as D:\History.  (I have also checked that there are no History folders left in the C:\ directories)

However, I am no longer seeing any browser history at all. Any suggestions?

517 Posts

July 14th, 2008 14:00

You are not seeing any history in IE itself?

7 Posts

July 14th, 2008 15:00

Yes - when I'm in IE - and click on the gold star - top right hand corner - which opens up the Favorites list - to the right is history - when I click on this it is empty.

517 Posts

July 14th, 2008 16:00

Try (in IE) Tools>Internet Options>Browsing History>Settings button. What does it report under 'current location'?

7 Posts

July 14th, 2008 17:00

That's very interesting - I was expecting it to say D:\Temporary Internet files\ but it doesn't!

It says C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\temp\Temporary Internet files\

And when I click on Move folder to the D:\ directory - and click OK if says that it will log me off to apply - and when it allows me to log back on - and I go back to IE - it has reverted back to: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\temp\Temporary Internet files\ !

517 Posts

July 14th, 2008 19:00

Odd...it worked for me first time. Do a reboot and try it again, just for fun. :smileywink:

7 Posts

July 15th, 2008 08:00

Yes very odd! - I tried it again just now - changed it to D:\ and logged off and went for a full shut down and re-boot - when it came back it was back in the old directory C:\Users\user etc.

7 Posts

July 16th, 2008 13:00

I've now got the shell folder, user shell folder, windows explorer and Internet Explorer all saying the temporary internet files are in the same directory - but I still haven't got any browser history!

517 Posts

July 16th, 2008 15:00

When your computer is first starting up, tapping the F8 key should get you into a screen with boot options.

Select Safe Mode.

I would let IE move the folder for all the temp file to one location. I don't see a need to have them all in their own separate folders.

517 Posts

I'm curious if trying to move it while in Safe Mode might do the trick?

7 Posts

Do you know the process for starting in Safe Mode in Vista?

Also are you suggesting that I should move History, Temp internet files and cookies - or just the History file - as at the moment they are all have their own folder but pointing to the same directory e.g. D:\tempD\History

7 Posts

July 16th, 2008 17:00

I've tried starting in safe mode as suggested and moving temp files in IE - have gone from:

D:\tempDD\Temporary Internet Files

D:\tempDD\ cookies

D:\tempDD\ History

T:

D:\Temporary Internet files

D:\tempDD\ cookies

D:\tempDD\ History

I.e. it has only moved the temporary internet files - has no effect on cookies or history.

No Events found!