Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2009 13:00

November Windows Update causes some Dell PCs to subsequently hang / freeze

It seems that one of the recent MS Update released in the November batch has caused some DELL PCs to subsequently hang. The updates are applied OK but after the next reboot the PC hangs / freezes about a minute after you logon after a further few minutes even any mouse movement ceases. So far it has been suggested that it might be related to the Windows XP update KB969947 but I haven't verified it's that particular one.

The current workaround solution is to Boot into safe mode and use the system restore to revert to a state before the update was installed, then turn Automatic updates OFF.

It has also been suggested it may effect those Dell PCs with the ATI Radeon HD 2400.

Is Dell aware of the problem ?

Is there a better solution so Windows Updates can be turned back ON ?

November 13th, 2009 01:00

For those with the ATI Radeon HD 2400 I believe the solution is to install the latest driver V9.10 dated 10/22/2009 before re applying the WIndows XP update KB969947.
Available from http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

I am afraid I am not on the site with the problem today, so if anyone manages to try this I'd appreciate if they can confirm this as a valid solution.

Hope this helps
William

3 Posts

November 12th, 2009 15:00

Same here.

And I verified that it is indeed the Security Update for Windows XP (KB969947) "Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers Could Allow Remote Code Execution" patch.

Had to do a few system restore roll-backs and install the November 10 updates 1 at a time to identify the culprit, but that one will cause a hard lockup on reboot EVERY time even when disabling other auto-startup items that might conflict with it (anti-virus, firewalls etc).

Do not have a Radeon HD 2400 but rather an older Mobility Radeon x1300.

That security fix is just plain not compatible with my system and obviously needs more testing and a fix either on Microsoft or Dell's part.

My Computer:

Dell Inspiron e1505 with latest A17 BIOS

Windows XP Media Edition 2005

Windows and Dell drivers both fully updated and current to the latest patches.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 12th, 2009 16:00

That security fix is just plain not compatible with my system and obviously needs more testing and a fix either on Microsoft or Dell's part. 

Don't expect Dell to do anything. They're not responsible when 3rd party software (eg, Microsoft) doesn't work correctly. The system worked until Microsoft hit you with their latest bomb. You may have to look at the Radeon site (since that's what's common to you both)  to see if they have a fix or an updated driver that's compatibile with this Microsoft's update.

Having fun..?  :emotion-12:

Ron

1 Message

November 13th, 2009 01:00

Hello,

I'm joining this post to present the same pb on two standard "OPTIPLEX 755" with "windows XP professionnel sp3" (i'm french)
The update KB969947 at 3h00 the 11/12/2009

But I didn't have the pb with an OPTIPLEX GX520

I've uninstalled the kb from "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB969947$\spuninst\" in safe mode and deactivate the automatic update.

Then restarted normaly without any problem and mask the KB in personalised update.

But : Is this update important for security ? Would microsoft modify this update I will never install because of masked ? Or they develop another KB to install instead of this one ? Does DELL make an update to make their computer OK with this ? (like HP did with the sp3 for their system with AMD processors)

Thanks for reading.
Sorry for my speaking :)

November 13th, 2009 05:00

Start the computer in Save Mode.

Regedit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

Remove:

"atchk"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Intel\\AMT\\atchk.exe\"
"ATICCC"="\"C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI.ACE\\CLIStart.exe\"

Restart:

Uninstall All ATI Software.

Restart:

Install new drivers from Dell Support/driver website.

Restart

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969947

November 13th, 2009 06:00

Hi

Having two Dell Vostro Desktop 200 with ATI RADEON HD 2400 PRO.

Same problem, after logging in and clicking the mouse a few times system freezes. Needed to be turned off to start again. Problem started to occurr about 11.11.2009.

After following instructions above got it working again (no more freezes).

best regards

1 Message

November 13th, 2009 07:00

This just happend on our network, computers will function after receiving the update but fail after the machine is rebooted.  I have verified that the updated ATI drivers fix the problem, but first the hotfix must be uninstalled.  Since Add/Remove on each machine is out of the question, the following command will automatically uninstall the hotfix.  Simply run as an administrator, best if executed remotely before users log on.

C:\WINDOWS\$NTUninstallKB969947$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /passive /warnrestart:10 /forceappsclose

3 Posts

November 13th, 2009 22:00

Unfortunately for laptop users, the latest ATI Radeon drivers will check our hardware before installation and will not install on our laptops with our "Mobility" versions of the graphics cards because the manufacturers (Dell in this case) like to issue their own drivers to make life easier for themselves. To that end, they make ATI lock us out and tell us to get laptop drivers from Dell.

The graphics card manufacturers release drivers every few months, but Dell will only take one of them every year or so, just "certify" it as Dell approved, and then put it on the website here. Much cheaper doing testing/compatibility/troubleshooting/support on one release a year than every few months, eh Dell?

So in my case, Dell has been particularly frugal and the newest ATI graphics drivers for my card on my particular computer is over THREE years old. Granted my computer is three years old as well but it always suuucked that Dell never released any of the regularly updated ATI drivers. So something tells me Dell is not going to jump on a fix for this new issue.

You can try the modded drivers route (google: mobility modder) but finding the right ATI driver release that is old enough to work with  XP and an x1300 while still being new enough to work with this buggy MS patch sounds like a long night of modding/installing/uninstalling.

Looks like this critical patch goes unpatched on my machine. First time ever a critical OS security patch has broken anything this badly. Nice fix Dell/ATI/Microsoft! :emotion-45:

November 14th, 2009 10:00

Thank you for your informations.

My graphic card is ATI Radeon HD2600 XT AGP (32 bits).

I use the same workaround, and i am also waiting for a better solution so Windows Updates can be turned on.

November 15th, 2009 01:00

Install new drivers from Dell Support/driver website.

Restart

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969947

The drivers on the Dell site are over a year old - for example Dell released them on 30 May 2008 but the drivers in the package appear to have been released 11 August 2007.

Are they really going to fix the problem ?

The Version.txt content - :
Title: Video: AMD Radeon HD 2400 PRO (128MB PCI-Express x16 (DVI/VGA) RV610) Driver
Version    : A03
OEM name   : AMD
OEM Version: 8.42WHQL_070914a-054243C_V32
Computers  : Inspiron Desktop: 530, 531; Vostro Desktop: 200, 201, 400; XPS: 420
OSes       : Windows Vista 32-bit Business,Windows Vista 32-bit Home Basic,Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium,Windows Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Languages  : Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese-S, Chinese-T, English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish
Created    : Wednesday, November 07, 2007

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 15th, 2009 15:00

From Microsoft about update KB969947:

Known issues with this security update

Ron

14.4K Posts

November 15th, 2009 16:00

I would not hold my breath on this. Dell has neither the time nor the resources to update older system/hardware drivers. Heck they have enough trouble just providing drivers for the current stuff .

November 16th, 2009 00:00

I would not hold my breath on this. Dell has neither the time nor the resources to update older system/hardware drivers. Heck they have enough trouble just providing drivers for the current stuff .

I wouldn't call it (Dell Vostro 410) an older system. Unfortunately their warranty expired on 5th November i.e. it's only just over 1 year old !
If Dell can't update the drivers for that then they aren't doing very well.

1 Message

November 24th, 2009 08:00

YES, that IS the solution for those with the ATI Radeon HD 2400 :emotion-2:

Tks to William for link too, DELL-Links are hopeless obsolete!

Jim

1 Message

December 19th, 2009 11:00

I am seeing the same issue on same hardware.  It always freezes up wiithout warning.  I have run all the diagnostics (with extended memory testing) etc and they all pass. 

I had deleted all the windows/$...$ directories to clear out some space, so i had to eventually restore the whole system from Dell media as i couldnt back out the patch easily.  I have omitted the KB969947 security patch during windows updates, but that seems like a bad idea.  As there are no 'updated' drivers for the x1300 video chipset available, did you find any other fix for this?

thanks!

No Events found!