Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2005 09:00

Please help! How to fix STOP: C0000218 register key problem

I was playing World of Warcraft, and suddnely, I got disconnected from the server, and I press QUIT to quit WoW...then my computer froze, so I restarted my computer, and I received a blue screen error and the message was this:

Stop:C000218 [Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
The last time that I might mess with the Windows XP booting was using msconfig...and I disabled some "starting up" programs to speed up the windows loading/starting speed...Don't know if this is revalent.

My question is, what should I do? Should I follow this website provided by Microsoft?

Artcle: 307545 How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

I am not sure, because I don't know if the DELL Windows XP CD that Dell gave me when I first bought my system, is the OEM Windows version...

Help is much appreciated.

37 Posts

May 7th, 2005 13:00

I found a new error......
in step 5, I have to copy the following files:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

however, I COULD NOT copy this:
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak

it says exactly: "This file could not be copied"

the thing is, this whole issue IS about the system32\config\software register key problem...

what is GOING on? Do I have to reformat windows? If so...how can I back up my files?

Message Edited by dreamerx on 05-07-2005 11:36 PM

18.8K Posts

May 7th, 2005 16:00

dreamerx,

There is a alternate method of replacing the system folder here which may work for you. It actually skips the first portion of the repair, where you copy the system folder to the tmp directory as system.bak and retrieves an earlier (hopefully clean) copy of system.

Message Edited by Denny Denham on 05-07-2005 11:02 AM

No Events found!