Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 13th, 2009 18:00

Problem upgrading XPS 420 Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 - compatability issue Promise SATA300 TX2

Problem upgrading XPS 420 Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 - compatability issue with Promise SATA300 TX2 IDE controller. Upgrade fails.

I can't see any updated drivers on the Dell or Promise web sites. When I look at my configuration file under 9RMTDF1 I can't see any mention of anything that looks like Promise IDE controllers.

Any help with either getting around the Windows 7 issue or has it not identified my cards properly.

Thanks

2 Posts

January 13th, 2009 18:00

I updated from XP to Windows 7 with no problems, but first I downloaded all of my systems necessary programs as the Vista versions (32 bit): soundcard, graphics, firewall, anti-virus etc etc, burnt them all to a dvd and did a clean install of W7 - ie -- formatting the HD and letting the installer do it's thing.  It worked fine.  By the way, the touch screen stuff only works if you actually have a touch screen compatible monitor.

160 Posts

January 18th, 2009 07:00

Problem upgrading XPS 420 Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 - compatability issue with Promise SATA300 TX2 IDE controller. Upgrade fails.

I can't see any updated drivers on the Dell or Promise web sites. When I look at my configuration file under 9RMTDF1 I can't see any mention of anything that looks like Promise IDE controllers.

Any help with either getting around the Windows 7 issue or has it not identified my cards properly.

Thanks

In Device Manager, does it show an error with the SM Bus controller?  If it does, you might try downloading and installing the newest All-In-One chipset driver installation utility from Intel.  I didn't have your same problem but Dell's Vista chipset drivers produce the SM Bus error and the Intel drivers fixed it.

2 Posts

January 31st, 2009 15:00

What chipset does the 420 have/ which SM Bus controller driver do I search for?

160 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 17:00

What chipset does the 420 have/ which SM Bus controller driver do I search for?

The XPS 420 uses the X38 Express Chipset.  Intel has an all-in-one installer that covers most of the Intel chipsets.  You can start here:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-026488.htm

and input your OS, etc.  You'll end up with a file "infinst_autol.zip" that you can unzip and run setup.exe.  After it fails to run the first time, you can use compatability mode and it will install.

No Events found!