Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2006 01:00

Question on XPS 410 (Reformating)

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole forum thing and all and I've been searching for a direct answer to a few questions I have regarding reformating the XPS 410, so I decided to ask it here. There are some threads here on this subject that kinda give the answer I'm looking for but not exactly. If I reformat my hard drive and delete the partitions Dell has, will it void any warranty or prevent me from returning the computer if I decided to do so? I ask this because I know of the problems the 410 has been having and the computer may wind up not being the one for me. I really hope this isn't the case though, I really like the XPS 410 model. Also, should I download the critical update the dell site offers for the chipset or do I just use the utilities and drivers CD after installation? I would like to know what to download and what not to download for I dont want to add extra stuff yet don't want to not download an update of importance. Any help would be appreciated, I got my 410 and am eager to set it up the way I want, but I don't want to do so if there are negative consequences.

(On another note, was the XPS 410 case always white? I would have sworn this whole time the case was grey, I was kinda shocked to see it wasn't...ok now I'm just babbling :P)

99 Posts

October 26th, 2006 03:00

FYI...I am assuming Policy has not changed since I accidentally reformatted my partion back int he day and called for support.  The tech wasn't happy about the loss of the diag drive but luckily I still had my resources cd so we could continue forward with the troubleshooting of the bad drive :)

99 Posts

If you "delete" the partitions and decide to jsut install the OS across the entire hard drive then it does not void your warrranty but be prepared to loose your diagnostic tools especially if in time, and you will, loose your resources cd.  There are some awesome tools on there that may serve your computer long after the warranty has expired.  Also if you do a complete reinstall you MUST update your drivers and update your drivers in the correct order or you may experience intermittent errors from time to time which may result in either another os reinstall or another time consuming process of updating your drivers.  Never go with the default "windows" drivers because after all you paid for an XPS....so get an XPS!  As always back up all that good data :)

12K Posts

It doesn't affect your warranty until you need Tech Help and they will not help you until your restore back to the original setup, meaning that will fix any probelm you are having.

2.9K Posts

2ndRate,
I'm no attorney, so I cannot definitively say that reformatting your hard drive will void your warranty.  I wouldn't think so if you simply restored the XPS to its as-shipped configuration. Plus the fact that a clean install of XP is an accepted practice to solve system corruption problems.  Obviously, you would want to do this anyway.  Deleting your personal info and data files would not cut it, as any technician will tell you.  I also recommend leaving the diagnostic partition on the drive.

If you do a clean install of XP, then by all means install the critical updates found on www.support.dell.com for the XPS 410.  The problems the updates solve are usually described on the download site.

Can't recall working on an XPS 410 recently, so I can't comment on the color of the case. 

Tony

Message Edited by tgsmith on 10-26-2006 12:28 AM

99 Posts

They will not support if the system is different from original shipment (had OS 2000 when shipped but has XP now)  Reinstall back to 2000 and we can troubleshoot it.  However they will still provide tech support even if the boot utility partition has been removed because once a system is no longer in the current shipping que then there is no way to obtain another resource cd.  I know because they told me on mine I couldn't get a new one because they were eol.  Luckily I found mine so I could ts it myself :)

16 Posts

October 26th, 2006 12:00

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I was shocked there was so many so soon lol. I believe I will keep the dell diagnostic partition, but it doesn't have bloatware in it does? I know the dell restore partition does, and I'll most likely be deleting that. At the risk of sounding more "un-computer savvy," does formatting delete the partitions or do u manually remove them? I assume that it doesn't but I just want to make sure. Karts4Kids, I also do not plan to switch OS, i plan to keep the MCE OS I have. Also, there's an order I update my computer after a reformat? I suppose I will have to download the critical chipset driver, but I thought those were for people who recieved their XPS 410 before the big delay. I recieved mine after, so I thought it wasn't directed toward my machine (I read around the forums that my motherboard is newer than those purchased before the delay). Oh man, I feel like such a newb asking so many questions:smileyvery-happy:.

99 Posts

October 26th, 2006 12:00

On desktops I do know that the Chipset goes first and then I typically go after the network drivers so I have immediate Internet access.  Beyond that it doesn't really matter as long as they are installed.   Am quite certain that you will still need to reinstall your xps chipset drivers with the resource cd because too my knowledge they have yet to flash it onto the os reinstall disk.  If you received a Resources - Drivers disk seperate from your os disk then you will need to manually update your drivers.

16 Posts

October 26th, 2006 15:00

I did receieve a Resources/Drivers disk, so I should just install those and I should be fine? Or install the critical chipset update as well? I'm a little confused:smileyindifferent:. Also I need to know if the dell diagnostics partition contains bloatware or anything of that sort because one of my main objectives is to prevent any kind of function that will restore all that unwanted software back on my system.

(The XPS 410 I have is brand new [shipped Oct. 16th], so I have no important data or anything currently on it. Therefore my Resorces/Drivers CD should be up to date [right?] I should have mentioned this from the beginning, things would have been a little more clearer.)

Message Edited by 2ndRate on 10-26-2006 11:40 AM

12K Posts

October 26th, 2006 16:00

Yes, it should and yes, I would put that Chip Set driver on there just to be sure.  Get the four basic devices installed along with your AV program, turn on the firewall and update from MS like crazy.

16 Posts

October 26th, 2006 19:00

Ok great, I'll be sure to follow those instructions when I get home to my XPS 410:smileyhappy:. I still need to know though does the dell diagnostics partition contain bloatware of some kind or reinstall it on the computer? Or is it "clean"?

436 Posts

@2ndRate wrote:

Ok great, I'll be sure to follow those instructions when I get home to my XPS 410:smileyhappy:. I still need to know though does the dell diagnostics partition contain bloatware of some kind or reinstall it on the computer? Or is it "clean"?

There is not bloatware on the diagnostics partition. There really is not that much bloatware that comes in XP from Dell and is very easily un-installable via Add/Remove Programs. HP computes come with much, much more bloatware.

436 Posts

@2ndRate wrote:

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I was shocked there was so many so soon lol. I believe I will keep the dell diagnostic partition, but it doesn't have bloatware in it does? I know the dell restore partition does, and I'll most likely be deleting that. At the risk of sounding more "un-computer savvy," does formatting delete the partitions or do u manually remove them? I assume that it doesn't but I just want to make sure. Karts4Kids, I also do not plan to switch OS, i plan to keep the MCE OS I have. Also, there's an order I update my computer after a reformat? I suppose I will have to download the critical chipset driver, but I thought those were for people who recieved their XPS 410 before the big delay. I recieved mine after, so I thought it wasn't directed toward my machine (I read around the forums that my motherboard is newer than those purchased before the delay). Oh man, I feel like such a newb asking so many questions:smileyvery-happy:.

What order do the drivers need to be installed in Windows XP on my Dell desktop or portable computer?

Table of Contents
1. Desktop and portable driver install order in Microsoft® Windows® XP.

1. Desktop and portable driver install order in Microsoft® Windows® XP.

Microsoft® Windows® XP (with service pack 2 and later) does not require a system driver installation order. However, the following order preference works best.

NOTE: The list below is a general overview of Dell desktop and portable systems. Actual system configurations may vary.

Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A compilation of critical Microsoft updates.
Intel Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers.
Video Card - Enhances video performance.
Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enables and enhances the network controller.
Sound Card - Enables and enhances the audio controller.
Modem - Enables and enhances the modem.
Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller.
BlueTooth® Module - Enables and enhances the Bluetooth controller.
PCMCIA/Smartcard controller - Enables and enhances the PCMCIA/SmartCard controller.
Touch Pad/Track Stick/Pointer - Enhances the pointing device features.
Other - Other devices and peripherals such as printers and digital cameras that are connected to the computer.

16 Posts

October 26th, 2006 22:00

Nice, I think I'm ready to start the reformat. I'll delete the restore partition but will keep the diagnostics one. Thanks for the help everyone, I'm glad I posted here first before reformating :).

436 Posts

October 26th, 2006 22:00

@2ndRate wrote:
Nice, I think I'm ready to start the reformat. I'll delete the restore partition but will keep the diagnostics one. Thanks for the help everyone, I'm glad I posted here first before reformating :).

If you reformat, you will loose access to any other partition.

16 Posts

October 26th, 2006 23:00

You mean I'll loose all the dell partitions? Would I be able to restore them if I lost them?
No Events found!