Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2017 02:00

Re-installing Windows 7

I have a Dell Latitude E5420 with a new hard drive on which I would like to re-install Windows 7 Home Premium.  I have the OEM Windows activation code supplied by Dell.  I have no installation disks.

Microsoft referred me to Dell as the installation is OEM.  When I put the Service Tag into Dell they tell me that no OS is available for that tag.

I have tried a USB stick with a Windows10 installation but my OEM activation code is not accepted.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks  Harry

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 25th, 2017 16:00

You needed to create a backup of your hard drive while you had it. Water under the bridge.

The OEM Windows activation code? Why would Dell have supplied you with one?

Anyway see if the answer at http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/dell-backup-solutions/Media-backup?dgc=SM&cid=60916&lid=777082590&linkId=33369211 is useful

3 Posts

November 26th, 2017 07:00

Thanks for your comments.  I had been at that Dell site before but it wasn't helpful.

The OEM Windows sticker inside the battery compartment contains an activation which is not recognised by MS.

Fortunately I found some sites which have links to digitalrivercontent resources although officially digitalrivercontent no longer supplies ISOs for Windows 7.(windowsxlives.blogspot.co.uk for example).

I managed to download an ISO and put it on a stick using Rufus.   This installed Windows 7 Home Premium using my OEM activation code but at that point there was  no internet connection so it couldn't check validity.  Note that to get it to boot from the stick, other boot options should be disabled.

I had to find a driver to get an internet connection.  The Dell driver site gave me some help although many of the drivers offered were irrelevant and I was still missing 4 which I found elsewhere.   All drivers seem to be working now.

When I checked the validity of my validation code on line it told me that my installation was not genuine.  Fortunately, when I followed the lengthy telephone validation process it was successful and I now have a legitimate Windows 7 installation.

I hope that the above might be helpful for others who haven't the necessary backups available when their system is corrupted.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 26th, 2017 10:00

You don't understand what I told you.

You went through a lot of trouble for nothing. 

If you had bothered to read that Dell webpage, you wouldn't have had to activate Windows.

Sheesh.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 27th, 2017 03:00

Firstly it is a Dell Latitude and these are Business models which usually come with Windows 7 Professional and not Windows 7 Home Premium. Check you are installing the correct Edition of Windows 7.

If you have downloaded the wrong installation media then delete the EI.cfg file within the sources folder of your Windows 7 Bootable USB. Then clean install Windows 7 Professional opposed to Windows 7 Home Premium.

Next since you are using Microsoft Installation Media opposed to Dell Installation Media OEM System Locked Preinstallation will not be applied. This can however manually be applied. 

For Windows 7 follow my guide to download installation media, clean install and activate using the proper Dell OEM SLP method:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/#7601 

Once you have Windows 7 installed, online and activated follow my instructions here to generate a genuineticket for Windows 10 activation:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/the-initial-clean-install-of-windows-10-using-a-faded-windows-7-oem-coa/ 

3 Posts

November 28th, 2017 10:00

Thanks Philip

According to the internal Windows sticker this laptop had Home Premium installed originally.

I read your instructions and, if I have to repeat the install, I'll probably follow your recommendations.

As it is, I already have a working legal installation of Win 7 Home Premium, albeit without the Dell recovery support.  I will make recovery disks.  I don't want to move to Windows 10 on this computer.

Good to know there is advice and help available!

Harry

No Events found!