I'm not having a problem but need to learn how to use the 'Recovery' option via the recovery partition on the hard drive in the event of a problem. None of the manuals available include instructions and I can't find anything in the system to help. The recovery partition does appear in 'Computer Management/Storage' but does not appear in the 'Computer' screen. How do I access it and use it?
Solved! Go to Solution.
You may use the recovery partition to restore the system to factory settings in case of any software issue by performing a Dell PC Restore. To perform PC restore:-
Note: PC restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well.
1. Restart PC, press <F8> 3-4 times when the Dell logo appears.
2. Advanced Boot Options menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
3. Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
4. System Recovery Options prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
5. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
6. Choose a Recovery Tool Window appears, select Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup.
7. The Welcome screen will show 2 options; Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files and Select other System Backup and more options. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click Next.
8. The next window shows these options; Backup Files and folders and Restore my computer. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
9. Select the Factory Image and click ‘Next’.
10. The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click Next.
11. A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved in the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click Next.
12. PC restore will initiate. Once done, click Restart.
13. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account.
You can also refer to Article ID: 125843 on support.dell.com. Visit the website and enter the article ID in the search box.
Let me know if you need any information or assistance. I will be happy to help.
Thanks and regards,
The boot options have been consolidated in Windows 8 into a single menu, called the “boot options menu,” providing access to repair tools and options for changing Windows startup behavior, such as enabling debugging, booting into safe mode, and launching into a recovery environment.
There are three ways of accessing the new boot options menu in Windows 8.
1. Through PC Settings
2. Through the Power Options
Instead of going all the way into the Settings screens, there is a faster way to access the boot options menu. Press Windows key + I (capital “i”) to access the sidebar menu and press the Power button. Press Shift as you select the Restart option. The Continue, Troubleshoot, and Turn off your PC options display on the blue boot options menu, just as they do using the primary method.
This method also allows you to access the boot options menu without logging into Windows. On the login screen, press the Power button in the lower, right corner of the screen and press Shift as you select Restart.
3. Through the Command Prompt
shutdown.exe /r /o
Let me know if you need more information or assistance. I will be glad to help.
Thanks and regards,
Just wanted to check if you have tried the above mentioned step and if the issue is resolved. The F8 key doesn't give you the options in Windows 8 as it was in the previous version of Windows.
Please reply for any further questions.
Thanks & Regards,
To learn more about Dell Products, Services, and Drivers, click Here
To start off, I am a very experienced technician and I work on an absurd range of products from a large list of manufactures, including a wide range of Dell products, so feel free to be very technical!
I have an Inspiron One 2330 unit that simply needs a restore. I performed the restore function and everything went smoothly.
After the unit restarts from the restore function, it loads files, displays a command prompt screen, scrolls lots of text, then restarts. At this point it should be restarting me into Windows so I can configure the machine and user account, but it does not.
Instead at this point it loads files again, performs the same command line functions OVER AND OVER AND OVER, endless looping.
I have inspected this further and what seems to be running in the background is an executable called "FIRSTUXWND.EXE". The source of this looks to come from "FIRSTUXRES.WIM" loacted in the "c:\windows\system32\oobe\" folder. I assume this step is just configuring the OUT OF BOX EXPERIENCE, but the thing just helplessly reboots indefinitely until I shut the machine off in frustration.
What gives? Is there anything I can do to skip this step? I have a multitude of utilities at my disposal to fix this problem, including Windows RE. Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
F8 is not an option on the screen ... it is a hidden option and very much a matter of timing. As soon as you see the F2/F12 options appear on the screen, start tapping F8 2-4 times per second until you get a Windows boot menu. Once you see the Windows logo, it is too late.
I have a Dell One 2330; we are a Dell CFI customer.
For some reason - my Dell has (of it's own accord) restricted access to everything for me. My account is an administrator one (as can be seen in the User Accounts in Control Panel) but the computer is not giving me access to anything at all, nor letting me do anything orhter than run programmes already installed.
It won't let me
a) View C drive, nor D drive
b) Install any new programmes
c) Do anything within control panel
I have resorted to the view that the only thing I can do is restore it to factory conditions...but the F8 system above does not work...and if I try and select "Restore to Factory Settings/Spec" within control panel - nothing happens at all.