Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2013 14:00

Recovery Partition present, but not accessible via F8

I have a Studio 1558 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium edition (out of warranty).

The PC got messed up and would not boot. I was able to get it booting again by using boot-repair. However, now that it is booting it is getting a bunch of "the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application" errors. I have googled how to correct that problem, but nothing works. 

Therefore, I want to restore the factory image, but when I press F8 during boot, it does not allow me to recover the factory image. (I think the boot-repair did a fixbmr). I can see the RECOVERY partition and the DellUtility partition when running the boot-repair tool. The tool mounts the partitions and the files appear to be intact.)

As this computer did not ship with operating system images, I need a way to enable the machine to see the RECOVERY partition on startup.

Mark

3.3K Posts

October 9th, 2013 15:00

Hi markfanara,

Run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer by holding the FN and Power button simultaneously. Let the diagnostics complete.

Do you have the disks which were shipped with the computer?

Check if the computer boots into Safemode with networking. Restart the computer and tap F8 at Dell logo. Select Safemode with networking.

Also, refer the following link which has few steps to resolve the issue:

http://dell.to/1bcJe52

Awaiting your response!

3 Posts

October 9th, 2013 16:00

ran the diagnostics as instructed, but skipped the memory test as it takes a long time

The results of the diagnostics include the following errors

1) 2000-0146
2) "No diagnostic Utility Partition"

The computer does boot into safemode fine.

When I restart the computer following booting into safe mode, I pressed F8 as you directed at the Dell logo. It seemed to attempt to boot differently as I saw a screen that said PXE-2.1 followed several lines later by Exiting PXE ROM. The computer then again boots Windows.

The link provided does not provide any information regarding this scenario.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 9th, 2013 19:00

Sounds like a failed hard drive. No use trying to reinstall anything on a bad drive. Replace it.and reinstall windows.

3 Posts

October 10th, 2013 11:00

I will perform some diagnostics on the drive, but at this point I am not seeing anything that suggests the drive is bad. Can you please provide instructions on how to restore access the existing recovery partition?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 10th, 2013 12:00

I will perform some diagnostics on the drive, but at this point I am not seeing anything that suggests the drive is bad.

Oh, really?  Perhaps you should Google 2000-0146. Maybe you are capable of that much.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 10th, 2013 14:00

"(if you are lucky) they will temporary work but then get corrupt again"

Correction ... if you are UNLUCKY, you will be able to install to a bad drive:  because that will give you a false sense of security and acheivement.  If you were lucky, your drive wouldn't work at all, forcing you to get a healthy drive and install to that, avoiding the potential pitfalls of running with faulty hardware.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 10th, 2013 14:00

2000-0146 means you need to replace the hard drive. There's absolutely no point in trying to reinstall the OS or access the recovery partition, neither will work with a failed drive. In your current situation at most (if you are lucky) they will temporary work but then get corrupt again.

I recommend you replace it with a Solid State Drive for optimum performance. See crucial for details: http://www.crucial.com/ 

Once you install the drive you will need to clean install Windows 7 see Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7 for more details:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

No Events found!