Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2013 13:00

Reimaging Dell PC/Laptops with DELL OEM Media and MDT

Hi All

We have MDT and WDS deployed in our environment and are having problems with drivers and licensing.

Scenario 1:MDT 2012 update 1

{1.1} When using MDT 2012 and the Dell OEM Media (unmodified image,Source files only) drivers get copied via the task sequence and installed just fine

{1.2} When using MDT 2012 and the Dell OEM Media (Modified image, windows updates and all LOB applications installed, sysprepped and captured) drivers get copied but not installed.

In both scenario 1.1 and 1.2 the license does not get applied like when you use the OEM disk.I have seen ways to get around this by copying the $OEM$ folder during ts but haven't been able to get it working yet.

Scenario 2:MDT 2010 update 1

{2.1} When using MDT 2010 and the Dell OEM Media (unmodified image,Source files only) drivers get copied via the task sequence and installed just
           fine.

{2.2} When using MDT 2010 and the Dell OEM Media (Modified image, windows updates and all LOB applications installed, sysprepped and captured)                  drivers get copied but not installed.

In both scenarios 2.1 and 2.2 the OEM license is applied correctly.

In Summary:

Neither MDT 2010 nor MDT 2012 allows me to install drivers when using the modified image and only MDT 2010 allows me to apply the OEM license.

Things I've tried to troubleshoot 

1.Checked for a folder called "Drivers" in the root of C: on the reference PC before capturing it.
2.Checked the ZTIDrivers log and can see the drivers are being copied from the OOBE drivers folder on the deploymentshare
3. Tried installing with the unmodified source files and that works, drivers install fine.

In the end I would like to use MDT2012 because imagex makes the whole thing a lot faster, just need to get my custom image to install the drivers and for the license to be applied. 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 17th, 2013 13:00

Technically, OEM media should not be used for this purpose, by way of licensing restriction:

www.microsoft.com/.../reimaging.aspx

There may also be something with the OEM image that interferes with what you are trying to do.  I've never tried to image  using OEM media, so I'm afraid I have no other insights to offer.

6 Posts

July 18th, 2013 02:00

I see.But how do others do it then?

We dont have VL for Win7

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 18th, 2013 08:00

"how do others do it then?"

Using VL media - it is designed specifically for ease-of-deployment.  

Adding it to your VL account is one option (simplest, albeit the most expensive option).  You can also get the VL MEDIA through an MSDN subscription (cheaper than purchasing VL licensing; though LICENSES though MSDN cannot be used in production environments - strictly for testing/demonstration/development/training).  You may be able to get the media through a TechNet subscription (MUCH cheaper than MSDN, but similar restrictions).

No Events found!