Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2013 13:00

Reinstall Win7 without recovery partition

Hello,

I have a Inspiron 15R N5110 that needs it's Windows 7 OS reinstalled.  I think it might have gotten bitten with a virus, but I'm not positive about this.  The bottom line is that it's getting many BSODs and sometimes when it boots it claims that some important services are not running, like the Event Manager.

When I attempt to use the Recovery partition after hitting F8 at boot, it simply fails to do anything, returning back to the boot menu over and over.  I guess it's possible that the virus destroyed the recovery partition as well.

And I don't have any OS CDs to restore from.  Am I simply out of luck?

I'd hate to, but can I *buy* a set of OS installation CDs from Dell?

Sigh.

Thanks,
Randy Stegbauer

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 15th, 2013 13:00

You can request installation discs here (US only):

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

You can also download and use a "retail" version to install, then activate using your Product Key over the phone with Microsoft (not Dell).

www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

HOWEVER, I would test your system thoroughly, especially your hard drive ... what you describe could very well be a hard drive issue.  Do this before installing Windows - there's no point installing Windows to a bad drive.

August 15th, 2013 14:00

Thank you for the backup CD link.  I searched all over and couldn't find that.

I don't suspect a hardware problem.  I ran GRC's SpinRite 6 on the entire harddrive and it didn't detect any problems.

Thank you for the link!

No Events found!