Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

March 28th, 2006 21:00

Removing all useless/adware/trialware software that come with new Dells

I just purchased a dimension e510 and it comes with so much useless software that I didn't ask for or can't not ask for (i.e. macafee Trials, game trials, free AOL, free Netzero, google BAE, etc. :smileymad:) I would just like to have a clean computer with windows XP and office installed. I don't need Dell to put all this junk in it before I even use it.

Does anyone have a list of all the trialware/adware (basically non-windows XP or office software) and the ways to remove them?

3 Posts

Thanks, that is probably the best way to get rid of everything (including what is left in the registry). If I reformat and reinstall windows XP, will I need to reinstall the Dell Support and all my drivers?

I will probably be losing roxio (dvd burner/media player) but it is worth it not to have all this useless trialware on my computer.

*another problem - dell doesn't come with reinstall disks

Message Edited by rflction on 03-28-2006 05:29 PM

11.9K Posts

@rflction wrote:
Thanks, that is probably the best way to get rid of everything (including what is left in the registry). If I reformat and reinstall windows XP, will I need to reinstall the Dell Support and all my drivers?

I will probably be losing roxio (dvd burner/media player) but it is worth it not to have all this useless trialware on my computer.

*another problem - dell doesn't come with reinstall disks

In the future, by using the Advanced Forum Search on the bottom of this page, you can quite easily find the answer to this often asked question.

Yes, all drivers would have to be reinstalled.

12.1K Posts

Try each one, and if you don't like it, uninstall it from Add/Remove program.   For me, and many others, we just do a complete Reformat, and Reinstall of windows xp.  You may or may not have received the Operating System CD with your system.  So if you go that rout, call Dell, and try to get the OS CD.  Also make sure you got that office software cd as well and anyothers that you might need to reinstall later.   Others on this forum may discourage you to reformat, and reinstall windows.  For those that do not know what they are doing, I would agree, but it only takes a little time, depending on how much stuff you have already on the system, and want to save it.  

AOL normally leaves itself all over the place even after you uninstall it, and so does McAfee, so this is why I do a reformat, to get rid of all the registry code from these two programs.  In doing so, you will loose the Symanted PC Restore Utility to as-ship date program on your system, if you have it, so think about this.

Dim 4400
2.6 Ghz 400 FSB
1 Gb 2100 DDR Memory
20 Gb hard drive 7,200
Windows XP Home - SP-2
Leadtek 6600 GT
48xCDRW
17 LCD ( 1703 FP )
250 watt power supply

Message Edited by SR45 on 03-28-2006 06:19 PM

141 Posts

March 28th, 2006 23:00

I've gone through the process of getting rid of all that un-needed & unwanted junk several times.  After making sure of what you are dealing with, un-install what you don't want. If not absolutely sure of what it is, search for information. If it's something from Microsoft, you probably should keep it for now.  To clean up the "leftovers", search for files and folders with the name of the file you uninstalled, and delete. Finally, I use an excellent registry cleaner - WinASO. Although it comes with cautions, as it should, it has never caused me a problem. This free utility can be found at Cnet. It's highly rated but seems underappreciated. It will find hundreds of registry dead ends. I prefer leaving the Operating System format and reinstall for emergencys.

Message Edited by RJE49 on 03-28-2006 09:41 PM

31 Posts

March 29th, 2006 00:00

dont do that the  pc restore as shiped if you have it is the best thing to have so if doing that you lose the restore i def.wound not do it......................

85 Posts

March 29th, 2006 04:00

Download Ccleaner from Cnet and then uninstall all the aol and McAfee if you don`t want it. Install Ccleaner and reboot into safe mode. Run Ccleaner at least 3 times and also the issues a couple times.  When removing McAfee make sure to first disable each part that is running before uninstalling.

12.1K Posts

March 29th, 2006 18:00

That PC restore Utility from Symantec, puts every little dirty bit of worthless programs that you had before on the system, and then you will have to Uninstall them again, since they take up memory, and slow the system down.  Those of us who work with computers, get rid of this, reformat and reinstall windows by using the windows xp os cd, and have a faster, cleaner computer.  You will see a difference in speed if, and when you reformat the hard drive.  Just be sure you have all the cd's necessary to do the reinstall.  Have any picture, or music burned to cd to install later.  This is not rocket science, and no big deal for most of us.  Those that are NEW to computers may have issues, but after awhile you will learn what we are talking about...

31 Posts

March 29th, 2006 21:00

you may thing it is worthless but for the peps that are not as sharp with pc's as you, pc restore utility from symantec is  good to have the few programs that i do not want i un install frist and your computer is like just shiped you dont have to look here and there to find the cd ,if you ask me if i wasen  all knowing i wound thing hard be for geting rid of it.........................
No Events found!