Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2011 17:00

Repair Your Computer is prompting for a username and password

Hello,

I have done some searching through the forums and haven't really found my exact problem so I'm hoping someone out there can help.  I have a Dell Studio XPS 13 and am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.  My problem is, I am trying to set it back to factory settings by using the F8 on start up, I select the 'Repair Your Computer' and it loads up, however to loads to a user log in which I don't know what the correct login for it is.  I've tried leaving both blank, entering the Admin user name and leave the password blank and neither one is letting me log in.  Is there a way to get around this log in screen so I can set it back to factory?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Todd

322 Posts

April 19th, 2011 11:00

Hello Todd

On the right end of user name is a pull down where you can select your user name

then use your logon password. The Admin account is used only for a new system

that doesn't have an account setup on it yet.

Hope this helps.

Tom

2 Posts

April 19th, 2011 15:00

Thanks for the suggestion Tom, unfortunately there is no user selection drop down.  When I get to the login screen it just says Other User for the account and then requests the user name and password, the only other button on the screen is the Ease of Access (I think that is what that button was called) but clicking on it doesn't do anything.  When I load up Windows, I checked the User Accounts, there is only one user (the admin) and there is no password for that account.

Also, I know with some computers when you select 'Repair Your Computer' it pops up a white loading bar at the bottom of the screen and says "Windows is loading files", it does not do that for me, instead it looks like it is loading into Windows but the "Loading" text is larger.  The person that I got this computer from said that they were messing around with the boot loading settings so I'm not sure what they might have changed.  The current settings are Boot Manager: C:\  Boot Loader:  device - C:\   osdevice - C:\  do you know if there is anywhere I can verify if those settings are correct, the Recovery partition is D:\  so I'm not sure if one of those settings needs to be changed.

Thanks, Todd

4 Posts

July 11th, 2011 12:00

Hi Todd,

Did you ever get a answer or figure out how to access "Repair your Computer"? I am having the exact same issue and I have tried everything but still cannot access it from that log in screen. I have a Dell inspirion 530S

No Events found!