Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2007 16:00

Rescue/Reinstallation Disk

I have a Laptop Latitude CPI A366XT. I shut it down one evening and turned it back on the next day to get an error message that says "We apologize for the inconvenience" etc. I have tryed every option of rebooting and the laptop does the same thing no matter what option I choose. It always reboots itself over and over.

Original Message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

At the bottom, I can choose: Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally. I have tried all of them, but my computer still restarts. So I can't get to Windows to do anything. If I chooose "Start Windows Normally", it will show "Windows Xp Professional" with a loading bar. Seconds after this, a blue screen appears suddenly, then it's gone in a flash and my computer restarts. I didn't add any hardware or software in my computer. It won't read. When I put in a CD, it will think that there isn't anything in the drive.

I haven't changes anything since the last time it worked. I added NO new software, NO new hardware.

I have tryed to put a windows xp cd in the drive and it will not run. I have not sure if it because it is not the correct disk that it needs or if  the cd rom is not working properly.

Do I need a fresh install or is there another problem? I have a Dell Demention 4600 desktop computer. Will that software work for my laptop or do I need the actual software for that model. 

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give.

2.2K Posts

May 10th, 2007 17:00

When attempting to boot from the CD, did you verify or enable the CD drive as a boot device preceeding the hard drive in the System Setup (BIOS)?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ppun/en/1314dA00/Setup.htm

GM

7 Posts

May 10th, 2007 20:00

Yes it is set up to boot from CD first.
No Events found!