Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2009 14:00

Restore points and data

In moving some data around on some non-boot disks on my XP desktop, I was able to see that XP stores some restore point information on these "auxiliary drives" -- including USB drives.  Is there any reason to have restore points on any drive other than the boot drive?   It is possible to deactivate the restore feature selectively for individual drives.

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 15:00

Personally, I have disabled system restore on all except the OS partition (C:\ ). I install all software on that partition, and, of course, that is also where the registry resides. My documents are on a separate partition on a different hard drive (and backed up to an external drive as well).

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 16:00

It is possible to deactivate the restore feature selectively for individual drives.

Hi jbachman53, To deactivate an drive go into Control Panel, Backup and Restore, then click on Use System Restore to fix Problems and undo changes to Windows, then  Click System Protection, then Unclick the drives you dont want an restore point. On my system I just have my C drive has an restore point.

If this answers your question, could you please mark the verify answer(s) to help other users out.:emotion-21:

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 08:00

Hi jbachman53, Glad to have helped.

If this answers your question, could you please mark the verify answer(s) to help other users out.:emotion-21:

March 22nd, 2009 19:00

Thanks for the replies.  I had a feeling that the defaults for the non-boot drives weren't needed.

No Events found!