Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2011 14:00

STOP: 0x0000007E Error After McAfee Update

I have McAfee VirusScan Plus and I am running WindowsXP Professional. 

The McAfee Security Center downloaded an automatic updated on approximately May 31.  The first time I restarted the computer after the update, the display settings were completely messed up - the display was set to the lowest possible resolution and I was unable to change it to a higher resolution.  I tried rebooting, but nothing helped.  After the 2nd or third time I rebooted, and then got an error screen from Windows which read:-

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"

The error code that is referenced at the end of the message is:-

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xD934D184, 0xBA516D44, 0xBA516A40)

Unfortunately, I have not made major changes to my computer and thus have no system restore points and hence cannot do a system restore.

I tried deleting McAfee, but I was unable to completely delete as per the instructions on the McAfee site.  I was able to remove it via Windows Control Panel Remove Programs, but the software from McAfee was unable to complete the job.  I reinstalled McAfee, and the problem persists.

Fortunately, I am able to run Windows in Safe mode, but that is obviously not a desirable outcome.

I am running a Dell Precision Workstation 490. 

CPU Quad 2.33 GHz Intel Xeon(R)  E5345

IE Version 8.0.6001.18702

Network Card Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller - McAfee Core NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport

I was initially running SP2 but upgraded to SP3 - no help.

I have noticed the following errors showing up in the Event Viewer:-

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing.  HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\comxp_sp3\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. 

And, one incident (on 6/16 - unfortunately, the logs on System only go that far back) of :-

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

AFD

Fips

intelppm

IPSec

mfehidk

mfetdi2k

MRxSmb

NetBIOS

NetBT

RasAcd

Rdbss

Tcpip

I appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 27th, 2011 15:00

Can you run a System Restore to last date available before you installed that McAfee update which messed things up? See if that gets you back to normal function. Then you'll have to reinstall that last McAfee update again... 

Click Start>help & support

Click "Undo changes..." and follow the prompts

Select last Restore point available before that update.

If none of that helps, reboot and press F8 before Windows starts to load. Select "Last known good" from the menu.

If you still have problems and you have an XP Reinstallation CD that has the same version of XP as the version on the hard drive (eg both are SP3), you can try running a Window System File check (sfc) to restore any missing/corrupted Windows files.

Click Start>run

Type in: sfc /scannow

Click OK

Insert XP CD if requested and reboot when sfc is done. It may take ~30-40 min so be patient.

Ron

June 27th, 2011 16:00

Thank you for your suggestions.

I tried System Restore; unfortunately, I have no restore points.

I tried last "Last known good"  - nothing.

With regard to sfc, I tried that now.  What happens is that the command prompt screen flashes in the background for < 1s and then disappears.  I tried a few times and got the same result.  Could this be due to the fact that I am running in safe mode?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 27th, 2011 18:00

Does the CD have the exact same version of Windows as on the hard drive? If they're not exactly the same, sfc will abort.  By version, I mean both have to be XP Pro and both have to be the same Service Pack, SP2 or SP3.

Since it works in Safe Mode, something loading at Startup may be causing the problem. Power off and disconnect your network connection, just to be safe. Now boot in Safe Mode and run msconfig. Click Startup tab and uncheck everything. Reboot normally and put a check in "Don't show this again" box that wll appear when you reboot.

If that works, go back into msconfig and re-check one or a few items at a time, starting with the firewall and McAfee. Reboot normally each time and see what happens. If you can ID the item that causes the boot to fail, you'll have to remove that item and reinstall it. When you're done, power off and reconnect the network cable.

If sfc won't run and you can't ID the problem with msconfig , you may need to run a Repair/Reinstall of Windows. Personal files will be ok, but always a good idea to back up personal files on external media first, just to be safe. :emotion-5:  And you'll probably have to reinstall all the Microsoft updates again after the Repair/Reinstall.

Ron

No Events found!