Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2006 22:00

Service Pack 2 installation problem

I have XP Home on Dell Dimension 4600. I was installing service pack 2 and the computer "froze" during installation. So I used the task manager to end task but after that when I logged out and then back on it was terribly slow and finally when I got into my user account the desktop screen had no icons or task bar, only wallpaper. When I start in safe mode it says on the top of the screen    Microsoft (R) WindowsXP (R) Build 2600.XPSP_SP_ GDR.05031-1519:Service Pack 2)    Please help me!

3.2K Posts

February 26th, 2006 22:00

Did you update the BIOS . . it has a fix for SP2

3.2K Posts

February 27th, 2006 20:00

Hover over the Desktop button at the top left of this page . . davigate to downloads for your Dell . . you will see a Flash BIOS group you need to install with instructions on how to do it

27 Posts

February 27th, 2006 20:00

No, haven't done it and don't know how to. I appreciate any help you can give me!

27 Posts

February 27th, 2006 23:00

I think I downloaded correctly to a CD, but how do I get to a DOS prompt? When I start in safe mode with command prompt and the DOS.exe window comes up I can't type anything in it.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

You can download using any computer, prepare the floppy (installation method for DOS environment), then use that floppy to boot your 4600 and run the flash.

27 Posts

I'm confused now. I can't get to the download site with the computer. I get desktop icons only when I start in safe mode but I can't open anything up. I can't figure out how to download the bios upgrade to a DVD on my good computer and then get it to run in my "stuck" computer. Thanks again for your time.

27 Posts

February 28th, 2006 00:00

Nope, only on the stuck computer. The CD didn't work. I did get into safe mode command prompt by logging on to administrator and typed in D:D4600A12.EXE. Then I got an error window titled DELL SYSTEM 4600 BIOS FLASH A12.  Saying reboot and try again..

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 28th, 2006 00:00

Sorry, as I explained you need a floppy disk. Do you have a floppy drive on both systems?

3.2K Posts

February 28th, 2006 09:00

If you are not able to download and run in Windows, you are going to have to use a floppy drive . . they are dirt cheap these days, you should be able to buy a FDD and a cable for under $20 . . just attach it temporarily if you wish . . let it dangle

27 Posts

February 28th, 2006 21:00

I think I correctly updated the Bios. Burned BIOS flash 12 to a CD,used the Dell resource CD to change boot option and booted with new flash 12 CD. It shows updated  BIOS on start up. But the computer still is messed up. When I try to run system restore it says system restore failed, reboot and try again. I tried to type in scan /restore in MS DOS prompt and it says invalid command. I am stuck! The computer runs extremely slow and will not run any programs. I need to get service pack 2 out of my computer!     

27 Posts

March 1st, 2006 20:00

Still having problems!! I used the XP Home install disc and the recovery console to remove service pack 2. I thought I did everything right, but when I get to the service pack 2 removal wizard it gets stuck on the first task. Can someone help me please??? 
No Events found!