Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2002 16:00

Sherman.msi

I ran into a nasty problem with my Dimension 8250.
Periodically Windows installer would pop up and ask for Sherman.msi, and referenced the path C:\DELL\4W297\.  After clicking cancel twice it would go away.  Certain events would trigger that Windows intaller prompt.  One specifically was a residential appraiser software called Wintotal.

I did some digging around, did a search for sherman, and found a sherman.log file with the following entry in the c:\i386 folder:
========START LOG========
INI File: C:\DELL\4W297\Content\en\US\ISetup.ini
Bios String: Dimension 8250              
Dimension 8250               =Dim 8250
LOB=Dimension
MODEL=8250
Service tag: H3MS021
Extracting Content for C:\DELL\4W297\Content\en\US\D8250.cab
======== END LOG ========

I called Dell tech support and the tech couldn't quite figure it out, but had narrowed it down to one of the Dell Support apps.  He had me attempt to uninstall Dell Support, which popped up with the request for the path of Sherman.msi.
He directed me to Dell Software support.  The technician wasn't helpful and very rude.  I offered the advice given me by the Dell tech support person and my own findings, log files, registry entries.  I told her about the registry key referencing sherman.msi and the fact that it was associated with the product "Dell Support."  I was told that didn't prove anything (she was very defensive).  She then had me disable all of the Microsoft services in msconfig and reboot.  The error didn't happen upon reboot.  She said that it seems the issue was resolved.  I asked her if I should leave ALL of the MS services disabled, if that would be okay and she actually told me yes. She then ended the call.

It turned out that didn't fix the issue.  I had to delete the registry key I described above.  There still seems to be a install routine that occurs when the application is launched but it never displays an error.

Russell

1 Message

December 5th, 2002 17:00

I encountered this problem too. Any solutions?

December 6th, 2002 10:00

Try inserting your office CD's to see if it finds the file there...

If that doesn't work, run regedit and search for all instances of sherman or sherman.msi.  I removed those entries.  After removing the sherman.msi entries, things seemed okay, although, when I run the application that was requesting sherman.msi, you can still see a dialogue box flash on the screen for a couple seconds.

DELL really needs to fix this or help figure this out.  As you read in my message, software support was not helpful.  I know that it is probably the exception to the rule, but the support tech was really rude and the language barrier was really a problem.

I hope this helps.  Keep me posted if you would.

1 Message

December 8th, 2002 23:00

I also came across this problem and was able to resolve it by re-downloading and installing the dell support application. After executing the R48440.exe, you should be able to find sherman.msi on your hard disk. Uninstall and reinstall the support app and the load issue should go away.

This file is available in the following format(s). Click on the filename to download:

Filename: R49440.EXE
Download Size: 14.78 MB
Est Download Time at 56k 36 min
Format: Hard-Drive
Format Description: This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then run (double-click) it to unzip the set of files. Follow the instructions to complete the installation.

Additional Information

This application is supported on the following platforms running Windows XP: Dimension: 2300, 2350, 8250, 4500s, 4550, and 4500 Inspiron: 600m, 4150, 4100, 8200, 2600, and 2650 Please note, the estimated download for this file using a 28.8K modem is 80 minutes. The estimated download time using a 56K modem is 40 minutes. Cable modem and DSL should be able to download this file in about 3 minutes. Your actual download time will vary.

This release includes support for additional systems.

1 Message

December 29th, 2002 20:00

Dell Dimension 8250, XP Pro. Created on 12-14-2002.

I had this problem too, called up by Microsoft VB 6.0

I downloaded R49440.exe from dell. Extracted with winzip to directory \dell\r49440 which in fact extracted a file called Serman.msi. I then ran the offending program again to trigger the  BS call to Sherman.msi. Then pointed to the directory. It did its thing (slowly-maybe 30-45 seconds) then VB 6 started. Seems to be fixed now.

Sherman.msi 3.56 MB (3,743,232 bytes)

Dell Rev {AEE8462E-7CF9-4683-A89B-88F513380406}

1 Message

January 4th, 2003 14:00

I downloaded and extracted the Sherman.MSI file.  Now _everytime_ I launch VB6 I have to wait while "Windows Installer" uses the newly found Sherman.MSI file and eventually VB6 will finish its launch when Windows Installer is done doing its thing.

I moved the Sherman.MSI file so Windows Installer could no longer find it and click "Cancel" instead.  I get to VB6 much quicker this way.

Heading to MS KnowledgeBase next to see if their is a fix for this instead of a band-aid.

--Sam

January 4th, 2003 15:00

My situation now is that I've uninstalled the Dell Support application, the installer flashes by each time I access my app, and doesn't need interaction.

I tried installing the fix listed above, but now the installer takes forever (as you described).

When I spoke to the vendor of the application I'm having problems with, they told me to run the fix described, THEN install the application and point it to the path of sherman.msi.

You might try uninstalling VB6, then installing the "fix", and reinstalling VB6...

1 Message

January 24th, 2003 15:00

I too have an 8250.  No problems until I loaded Visual Basic 6.0.  Now, every time I click on VB6, I get this nag screen that wants to load C:\Dell\4W297\Sherman.msi and can't find it.  Sherman.msi does not exist on my machine or any other machine I can put my hands on.

When I click cancel a couple of times, I get a screen that says "unable to install DELL SUPPORT."

So I have contacted Dell support several times.  They send me to Microsoft.  Ha!  Genius!  Nothing there to give any clue as to why DELL SUPPORT is trying to load when I boot VB6.

Now they want me to uninstall Dell Support, download a 15MB patch, and reinstall DELL SUPPORT. 

Can anybody figure out what the Sherman.msi is all about?

1 Message

January 29th, 2003 15:00

The same problem with the sherman.msi file has occured on my 8250.

It pops up in Quickbooks 2000 when I click on customer centre.

I think I will wait for awhile before trying the fix that was suggested so I don't jump into a bigger problem. Though it is annoying.

6 Posts

July 5th, 2003 19:00

I had the sherman problem every time I started Internet explorer 6.0.  I found it to be caused by a search bar that had installed itself to IE. It is called searchwww. The website is www.searchwww.com. there is a uninstaller on the site which removes the reg entry that starts program. After removing searchwww, I do not have the problem.

16 Posts

March 5th, 2004 04:00

I am having this problem too whenever I try and start this e-diary software
I just installed to try out. It starts a windows installer looking for this file SHERMAN.MSI
and it is not on my computer anywhere. Why is a DIARY program trying to access Dell
support software???

I guess this problem happens with lots of different applications as I can see from this thread.
So the person that said uninstalling an IE toolbar helped, it probably won't help me
or the others since I have no problems with Internet Explorer.

Honestly out of all the computers I've had, most non popular brands, DELL has
given me the most technical problems. Problems have been nonstop since I bought
this Dell 8250 last year or so and Dell support has the worst advice. 3 times I've called
thier solution was always to reformat my hard drive & I lose everything & all 3 times, I've
ended up hanging up, finding a better solution on my own & losing nothing, no reformatting.
The techs here must not need any computer experience to work here since they never
know what to do. It just amazes me.

6 Posts

March 6th, 2004 23:00

It has been a long time since I had this problem. I do not believe that it is a hardware problem or a problem with Dell software. I believe that it is a virus, worm or trojan that points to other software to blame for the problem.

My 8250 has not been with out problems. I had an intermittant RAM failure that took Dell 10 days to figure out. When the tech came to make the repair he replaced both modules and one of the new ones was defective. He assumed motherboard problems but after swapping RAM in and out found that one of the new ones was bad, did the memory test and cleared the trouble.

Reformatting periodically is a good way to clear up many problems. The important thing is backup.

No Events found!