Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2006 18:00

Sonic isum_hotfix.exe does not work as they state

I was having this very problem with my new 9150 and was about to call tech support when I ran across the announcement of this today. But when I go and do everything exactly step by step, it does NOT fix the problem. As a matter of fact, when you click on yes to reboot, you get a message that comes up saying that the program failed to initialize because windows is shutting down. Have tried it several times and many different ways and it doesn't work. I really like this Sonic program and want to use it. Any help?

Sonic Update Manager Requests a CD When No CD is Available

Table of Contents 1. Sonic Update Manager Error Message on Boot 2. Download the hotfix from the Sonic/Roxio website. 3. Additional Information
1. Sonic Update Manager Error Message on Boot
The following error message appears on system boot:

’Sonic Update Manager’ The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the ´Sonic Update Manager´ disk and click OK.

Return to Overview
2. Download the hotfix from the Sonic/Roxio website.
To correct the problem, click the link below and perform the following steps.
  1. Click the following link to access the hotfix from the Roxio website:

http://tools.roxio.com/support/dell/isum_hotfix.exe

The File Download - Security Warning window appears.
  2. Click Run
    The Internet Explorer - Security Warning window appears.
  3. Click Run.
    The Sonic - ISUM Hotfix Setup window appears.
  4. Click Yes.
    The Sonic - ISUM Hotfix Setup window appears.
  5. Click Yes when the reboot prompt appears.

18 Posts

March 16th, 2006 21:00

My Wife's computer had this issue after uninstalling the Corel Photo Album 6 trial version that came with the computer.

She uninstalled it the regular way, using Add or Remove Programs form the controll panel. I did not have this problem on my computer. I was unable to uninstall Corel the usual way (lots of people on this forum are having that problem) I used a program called SmartyUninstaller2006 to uninstall Corel. (Search for my post on that if you have that problem)

On my wife's computer, it turned out to be a registry error. We fixed it in the simplest possible way and it is now working fine. Try opening the Add/Remove programs from the controll panel; Find Sonic Update Manager; click on "click here for support information" and; click the "Repair" button.

You may or may not need the Sonic CD to make this work. I called Dell for some other problems and they sent me a bunch of CD's including the one for Sonic with no hassle. Jay, the tech support guy, was great.

18 Posts

March 16th, 2006 23:00

Yes, I mentioned Corel Photo Album because a lot of people don't have this problem with Sonic unitl after they uninstall the PhotoAlbum.
Did you try the repair button in Programs Uninstall?

56 Posts

I haven't had any problems with Corel Photo Album just with this Sonic program. And they didn't ship me any of the pre-loaded software cd's with my system. I had to call back just to get the Applications cd shipped because they didn't ship that one either but it doesn't have Sonic on it.

56 Posts

I have not uninstalled Corel at all. I tried to go under the repair and see what happens but the same error comes up. I have sent off another email to Dell Support for them to please ship me the software cd's that were supposed to come with the system.

11 Posts

March 17th, 2006 08:00

I also have some problems with the Corel trial & Sonic, but it is a bit different. (Read my new post) I have a weird suspicion that DME uses Corel photo album, to display the images, but that doesn't explain why DME still functions after CPA has been deleted, though with a lot of Sonic whining.

18 Posts

March 17th, 2006 21:00

What is the message you get when you try the "repair" button?

56 Posts

March 17th, 2006 21:00

Still no fix for this problem. I have uninstalled the update manager as someone suggested and re-installed it-did not work. I have repeatedly AGAIN tried the hotfix with no success either.

Any other ideas?

56 Posts

March 17th, 2006 22:00

The EXACT same thing...it wants the disc.

56 Posts

March 18th, 2006 01:00

I have the update manager in my control panel but I do not see where to turn off the updates that you are talking about. Can you explain?

161 Posts

March 18th, 2006 01:00

Do you have the Update Manager in your Control Panel ? If you have, 'Turn off automatic update notifications' - untick 'Sonic Update Manager' Try running the Hotfix again. One thing I've noticed with this Update Manager, is it will try to autostart again when you click on it's icon, even with the autostart disabled. It shows up in Windows Defender where you have the option to block it.

161 Posts

March 18th, 2006 02:00

This is the info I get from Windows Defender. You could try backing these keys up then deleting them to see if it gets rid of it.

Description:
This program has potentially unwanted behaviour.

Advice:
Allow this detected item only if you trust the program or the software publisher

Resources:
regkey:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\ISUSPM Startup

runkey:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\ISUSPM Startup

file:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe

Category:
Not Yet Classified

161 Posts

@Stratus595 wrote:
I have the update manager in my control panel but I do not see where to turn off the updates that you are talking about. Can you explain?

When I click on the 'Program Updates' icon in Control Panel I get the 'Update Manager' box opening, the first tab 'Update Manager Control Panel' has two sections  - 'Status' and 'Settings'. The second tab 'Update Settings' has the programs listed (Sonic - JASC Paint Shop - Installshield Update Manager :smileyhappy:) that can be unticked. Below this is a section where you can 'Turn off automatic update notifications'.

Like I said, the program has tried to autostart again with me clicking the icon :smileymad: Windows Defender popped up again to give the option to block it :smileyhappy:

56 Posts

Okay...that's what I thought you were talking about but I wasn't sure. I did have Sonic unchecked, I even went back and completely turned off all automatic updates and re-installed the hotfix and it still doesn't work. I still get the same message:

An installation package for the product Sonic MyDVD LE cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package "MyDVD.MSI".

Message Edited by Stratus595 on 03-17-2006 11:17 PM

11 Posts

March 23rd, 2006 21:00

Im having the same problem.  The hotfix didnt work, neither did the repair in the add/remove programs.  HELP!

18 Posts

March 23rd, 2006 22:00

--------EDIT---------
Stratus595! Glad to see you got it working. You Beat me to it! Stratus595's instructions above do essentially the same thing as my instructions, but are probably a better way to go about it. Follow them instead unless you have a number of things you want to fix in the same way, in which case the instructions below are easier, but require installing yet more programs! Ironic.
------END EDIT--------

If you have the install disk and a registration number, you can try this, unintall the progam using:

1) jv16 Powertools -last freeware version is at:
http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LFWV/jv16Powertools.html
2) My Uninstaller -Freeware:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html
or
3) SmartyUninstaller 2006 Not freeware but has a 15 day trial period:
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?27000000037061

Then use a registry cleaner to make sure it is gone from your registry.
EasyCleaner Freeware:
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

Do not just uninstall using windows add/remove programs. It will leave the problem registry entries which will still be a prblem when you re-install. DISCLAIMER!: I am not 100% sure that this is the problem!

After all traces of sonic are gone, re-install it. Now it works. -Unless you have a different problem.

Message Edited by jxlewis on 03-23-2006 06:25 PM

No Events found!