Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 14th, 2006 14:00

Symantec Ghost & Dell PC Restore

I recently formatted my laptop using the Operating System DVD that came with my laptop, and after installing all the drivers and software I mistakenly installed a program that distributed all sort of spyware and adware. So I decided to do a Dell PC Restore instead of going through the whole format again. I fixed the MBR using DSRFIX from Dan Goodell and the report said I have no problems. So I pressed Ctrl+F11 and Symantec Ghost opened. So clicked at Recover, and at 75% of the recovery process I get a black screen with an error saying "36000 A GeneralException Occurred" for about 2 seconds and after that I get a message from Ghost saying the recovery was not successfull. Is there anyway I can fix this problem? I have formatted before and did a DSRFIX and the restore worked but now I have no clue why is this happening. Also if its not possible to restore using Ctrl+F11 can I install Norton Ghost 2003 and recover through the dell pc restore image (fi.gho) (I have backed up the whole restore partition on a DVD btw)?

Thanks

12K Posts

October 14th, 2006 16:00

If you have the disk why bother with the partition? to the best of my knowledge you can not ghost the Restore Parition and move it around.

45 Posts

October 14th, 2006 18:00

no I did not ghost the restore partition, I backed up the contents in the restore partition which means I have the Dell PC Restore Image ("fi.gho", about 2.7GB) in a sperate DVD, my question is if I can use the image on a ordinary Ghost 2003 program or is it useless?

623 Posts

October 14th, 2006 19:00

The fi.gho image can be restored using Ghost 2003.

Ghost 9/10 can't read a gho file, but if you have a Ghost 9/10 CD you should also be able to boot that CD and choose the option to restore a "legacy image".  That option will load a 32-bit version of Ghost 8 instead, which can read and restore gho files.

85 Posts

October 15th, 2006 01:00

Ghost 9 will see the old image. You can also use a Win98 boot disk and access the recover exe and use it. It`s in the bin folder.

45 Posts

October 15th, 2006 04:00

yeah I have tried that but I get the same error (36000 A GeneralException Ocurred) as the in the Ctrl+F11 looks like there is a problem with dell's symantec itself!?

But yeah thanx for the information it really helps...

Message Edited by mbushnaq00 on 10-15-2006 12:57 AM

No Events found!