Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 8th, 2006 11:00

System Restore fails

I am using Windows XP with a Dell Dimension computer. System Restore worked fine on my computer until recently. I could create Restore Points and Restore my system with it. I can still create Restore Points with it. However, the problem now occurs when I try to actually restore my system to a previous restore point. Now when I actually try to restore my system to a previous restore point with System Restore, I get a message screen (appears while the restore is booting), that has at the top of the screen, "Windows cannot restore to that restore point," and that I should, "try a different restore point." I tried restoring my system to three previous restore points but received the same message.
Not too long ago, I changed some of the drive letters for some of the drives. All of the attempted restores were to restore points created after I changed the drive letters, and had I rebooted since then many times. I don't know if the change of drive letters has anything to do with the problem of system restore now not working properly.
I tried looking in the Microsoft Knowledge Base but could not find a relevant article for this problem.
1) Why can't I successfully use the system restore feature to restore my system to an earlier restore point?
2) How can I get it to work again?
Thanks.

12.1K Posts

April 8th, 2006 12:00

Seems like system restore got corrupted, and the only remedy is to turn off system restore, than on again.  This of course will loose all restore points, but since you cannot go back anyway, its about the best thing to do.  This happens all the time, and many, including myself have  faced this.

47 Posts

April 8th, 2006 19:00

Hi,

Changing the drive letters may have corrupted drivetable log.

In the following article use methord one and rename the drivetable.txt file.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srdrives.htm
No Events found!