Windows General

Last reply by 03-07-2011 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

System restore in Windows XP

I recently tried to use "system restore" to solve a problem on my Inspiron 6400 but, when I tried to run it, nothing (literally, nothing) happened. All the software (rstrui) and links are there but nothing happens. Does Dell not support this function?

Replies (37)
4 Beryllium

rggraham1947

Assuming you don’t have a Malware infection (i.e. no other problems/issues?)

Then it could just be a corrupt Windows System restore database?

You will lose all previous Restore points, but if Windows System restore isn’t working then previous Restore points aren’t much use anyway!

So, if all you want to do is to get Windows System restore working again then:

1. Control Panel > right click System > System Restore tab

2. Checkbox enable Turn off System Restore, click OK then Reboot

3. Go back to System Restore tab & uncheck Turn off System Restore, click OK

This will clear the database & re-enable Windows System restore

If you now want to create a manual Restore point (rather than wait for Windows to do it), then use the Windows Restore Point Wizard

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

4 Tellurium

I have found that when XP won't run System Restore in "regular" mode, it may run in Safe Mode. I'd try that before disabling/re-enabling. Hope this helps.--dg

4 Beryllium

Good point dg27  :emotion-55:

If it does work in Safe mode, it means something that is loading in Normal boot mode is preventing System Restore from working

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

BELL BOY

"Assuming you don’t have a Malware infection (i.e. no other problems/issues?)" - None that I know of!

"1. Control Panel > right click System > System Restore tab" - Problem; no "System Restore" tab.

regards,

rggraham1947

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I've tried it in "Safe Mode" and logged in as "Administrator"; same result.

4 Tellurium

FWIW, try it from the account that you normally use, but make sure that account has admin rights before you do.--dg

4 Beryllium

rggraham1947

Quote “All the software (rstrui) and links are there  …“??

Not sure, but assume you mean the rstrui.exe file in Windows\sytem32\Restore folder is still present?

OK, now know System Restore tab is missing – possibilities are:

1. A corrupt Windows\sytem32\Restore rstrui.exe file

From Windows Explorer

Navigate to Windows\sytem32\Restore folder

In RHS pane right click rstrui.exe file & select Rename, use say oldrstrui.exe

Assuming you have Windows Service Packs installed

Navigate to C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder

In RHS pane scroll all the way down to the rstrui.exe file, right click & select copy

Now paste a copy of that file in the Windows\system32\Restore folder

Reboot & check for System Restore tab

If present & working then delete the renamed oldrstrui.exe file

If above doesn’t fix the problem

2. Something has changed security policy settings (could be Malware)

Please confirm if using XP Pro or XP Home?

3. Malware (most common cause)

Create a new post in the Malware Removal Forum, click here & let the experts help

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I tried it from the Administrator account as a last resort; I'd tried the other accounts, all with admin rights, already.

4 Beryllium

Hi rggraham1947.

If BELL BOY´s advice to replace rstrui.exe from i386 did not work and I know you said that you tried safe mode advised by dg27, but did you try it in safe mode with command prompt. Try this MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/en-us

If it works, I agreed with BELL BOY that if restore tab is missing could be malware. So check your machine for infections and post in malware forums for advice.

Hope it helps.

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3. IE8 & FF38

Avast!Free 2015. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor