Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2010 13:00

Updating Adobe Software

What is the best way to update my Adobe Reader, Adobe Updater, and Adobe Flash Player? 

I periodically get pop ups from the respective Automatic Updaters to update my current versions.  These programs are notorious for being security risks if not kept up-to-date, but I'm hesitant to update via the auto updaters since some users have had problems with that method. 

I currently have Reader v8.1.7 ,Updater v5, and Flash Player v 10.0.22.87 (shows up in Programs & Features as "Adobe Flash Player 10 Active X"  -- and I'm not sure if that is the actual Flash Player or it's Active X control or if they're one and the same).   I also have Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit 2 v2.0.2  and Spelling Dictionaries Support for Adobe Reader 8 in Programs & Features as well (don't know what to do with those).

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 15th, 2010 05:00

I'm using the auto updaters without problems, both on a Vista and Windows 7 machines, including a Netbook with Win 7 Starter Edtion.  I haven't looked at whether the old version is completely removed but as I'm not having problems and not having any hard drive space capacity problems I have to assume it's working OK.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 13th, 2010 16:00

If you don't want to use the auto updaters then just go to www.adobe.com and manually download whatever update you want. 

I use the free foxit pdf reader rather than the Adobe.

9 Posts

June 14th, 2010 21:00

Thanks for the prompt reply, fireberd.

I'd rather use the auto updaters actually since it would save time and work.  It's just that  I don't know if they do a complete job -- as in completely uninstalling the older versions and replacing them properly so as to not leave any security gaps.

While on the subject of updaters, the java auto updater now does completely remove the older versions as well, right?  Or should I still use JavaRa when updating java?

9 Posts

June 15th, 2010 21:00

That's good enough for me. 

Thank you, fireberd.

No Events found!