Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2008 16:00

Upgrading from ME to Windows XP

Which is best  XP Home Edition Upgrade With SP2 or XP Home Edition Full Version with SP2

2.9K Posts

January 21st, 2008 17:00

They are both the same. The upgrade version is cheaper but you must have proof of ownership of a previous version of Windows (in your case WinME).

January 21st, 2008 17:00

Installing a full version necessitates removing your present OS, ME, completely and starting from a clean disk.  Check on the Dell help page to find out if you can upgrade to XP without removing anything.  This is quicker and easier.  Expect that you will need to download some driver upgrades as well after an intall.  Before doing anything, check the instructions carefully to be sure thatf your computer is XP ready from the same page.,  Look at: .http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=6FD8E965060E48F7AA164FA6FFFF243D&doclang=en&cs=

2.9K Posts

January 21st, 2008 18:00

"Installing a full version necessitates removing your present OS, ME, completely and starting from a clean disk"

I don't believe that is accurate. You can perform a completely new "Clean" install with either an "upgrade" version or a "full" version OR you can "upgrade" the current OS (WinME) with either an "upgrade" version or a "full" version. In other words, you can perform both an upgrade or a clean install with either an Upgrade Version or a Full Version. The ONLY difference is the price, and the requirement that you prove ownership of a "qualifying" product with the Upgrade Version.

January 21st, 2008 20:00

Sorry for the misinformation.  I did not update my info.  Regardless, the how to do it link is correct.
No Events found!