Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2009 11:00

Upgrading to Windows 7

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading from Vista Home Premimum 32bit  to Windows 7?  I have a Dell XPS410.  I'm interested in knowing what I might be in for before I take the plunge.  The email came from MS today about its general availability on May 5.  Thanks,

Marylandms

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2009 14:00

Windows 7 (Retail) will not be available until late this year (Maybe October and in time for the Christmas shopping season).  There is a "RC" (Release Candidate) version that will be available to select individuals (not the general public) and what you are referring to. 

However, if your PC runs Vista it will run Windows 7.  Windows 7 is basically Vista with "improvements".

May 3rd, 2009 03:00

Hi fireberd

I think you'll find that the RC of Windows 7 is available to anyone who cares to download it from 5 May to the end of July see  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2009 04:00

Yeah, I just saw that.  Up to this time only those on the MS Tech net and developers had access to the RC version.

But, the full "retail" release is not due until later this year.

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2009 05:00

Tried it for 2-3 days. Coming back to that one with the RC. Very smooth and easy install on my XPS m1530, one could use vista drivers for most special drivers. Light and more resposive than Vista. Maybe the best product to come from ms? Very good teaser at least. Maybe it can hold me in ms-modus? Phasing it out and over to linux is the plan.

No Events found!