Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2008 23:00

Upgrading to XP Service Pack 2

I am trying to upgrade my mother's computer to Service Pack 2. I know I need to do some updating before I take the big step.

Can someone tell me what I need to do or where to go to find out please?

Dell Dimension 2400

Pentinum 4 2.53 g

768 memory

4 Posts

I want to update to 2 for now I think. That's what was recommended.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Are you updating to Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3? You'd be better off going directly to SP3.

Read this and this.

Ron 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 31st, 2008 00:00

Can you even find a download of SP2 any more? Doesn't look like it's on the Microsoft site now.

If you only go to SP2, you'll still need to install ~80 additional fixes and updates. SP3 has SP2 plus all of those additioanl updates plus a few more things. And, there have been a number of updates/fixes since SP3 came out...

Ron

6.4K Posts

August 31st, 2008 03:00

I don't know about the small download of SP2 for individual computers, but the download for IT professionals is still available.  You might not want to try it if you have a slow connection as it is around 260 MB.  If you have a high speed connection and wish to try it, however, you will find it here:  Service Pack 2 Update.  This has worked well for me in the past even though I was using it for a single machine.

Whether you use SP2 or SP3, however, remember that both are sensitive to viruses.  You should pay special attention to the info in the links Ron provided.  You might want to perform a scan for viruses before the update.  It can also help to write the update to CD so you can disconnect from the internet and disable your virus autoprotect function before actually performing the update.

Message Edited by JackShack on 08-30-2008 11:09 PM

4 Posts

August 31st, 2008 09:00

or the suggestions. I have cleaned the machine completely and keeping it's use to a minimum until I do the install. I know that I need to update something before I do the install. How do I know which drivers to upgrade? Is there a check list for Dell machines or guide line?

3.2K Posts

August 31st, 2008 14:00

If your BIOS version A03 or above you are ok . . if not, you need to update the BIOS for  "Updated CPU microcode to support latest CPUs". which is code for the Prescott incompatibility issue with SP2.

You really should consider going straight to SP3 . . with SP2 you will have over 100 Windows updates to install

4 Posts

August 31st, 2008 17:00

thanks Rich - think my bios are ok.

I'm just a little leery about going to 3 - I've heard so many buggy things about it right now.

3.2K Posts

August 31st, 2008 19:00

No reason to be afraid of it.  I've installed SP3 on over a hundred systems so far and have yet to have an issue.  By the way, It's not SP3 that is buggy . . it is the systems that it is installed on being buggy.  Yours is a fresh installation so you should have no problems
No Events found!