Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2008 22:00

Vista SP1 and McAfee PWS-LegMir (Trojan) alert

Hello

Today I tried to download and instal Windows Vista Service Pack 1, but the download stopped at 95% for about half an hour during which I received 5 messsages from McAfee.  This is the message:

McAfee has automatically blocked and removed a Trojan.   About this Trojan Detected: PWS-LegMir (Trojan), PWS-LegMir (Trojan) Location: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1d2965af3b0981ed4711ff27dd3e27c6\$dpx$.tmp\60152f7a3444d04a83db6f6c04ee2d78.tmp  

Trojans appear as legitimate programs but can damage valuable files, disrupt performance, and allow unauthorized access to your computer.

- END OF MCAFEE MESSAGE -

Eventually I got a message from Windows Update.  This is the message:   
  • Windows Update reports that some updates were not installed. Error: 80070570

Conclusion: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330) was not installed.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Is McAfee wrongly identifying some update file as a trojan, and not letting Vista SP1 install?

P

5.2K Posts

October 21st, 2008 23:00

It's best to deactivate any anti-vitus program when installing software. The AV should check the download for infection, then get off the web and turn the AV off.

October 22nd, 2008 18:00

Hello KirkD

Thanks for your message.

In your message you say: "The AV should check the download for infection,...".  Isn't this the problem?  I think the file is blocked during download, not during installation.

When we download updates from Windows Update, there is the download phase, and then we get a message 'preparing to install'.  I didn't get to that point when installing SP1.  The download simply stopped at 95% for over half an hour.  During this time I got that McAfee message 5 times.  Then I got the message saying that SP1 had not been installed.

I was thinking about deactivating McAfee before and during the download and installation.  Is it possible to download trojans during a Windows Update?

P

5.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2008 19:00

Shouldn't be a problem with a virus from microsoft. Which SP1 are you downloading? Am assuming it's the normal update through Windows update, not the 484MB stand-alone generic update. Make sure that all the Vista updates prior to the date of the SP1 update are installed. I would disable the AV and try again. If no go, I would uninstall McAfee and install AVG, which is free and works very well, and shouldn't interfer with the download. If this continues, try the the stand-alone program.

Also do some searching for the problem here and on the web. Might get some insight.

Message Edited by KirkD on 10-22-2008 03:31 PM

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 00:00

The detection by McAfee is a False Positive, see HERE, update McAfee and restore the files from quarantine.

Before installing SP1, enable Windows Firewall and temporarily disable any other protection such as McAfee, see HERE.

October 23rd, 2008 22:00

KirkD/Red Dawn

Thanks for all your help.  I'll try to reinstall SP1 again this weekend following your advice.

Red Dawn, thanks for that link to the McAfee forum - loads of info there!

P

No Events found!