Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2008 20:00

Vista with SP1 integrated OS recovery disk?

I purchased a Dell XPS M1710 laptop with Vista Ultimate 32 Bit about a year ago.  I ordered it with an OS recovery disk that now has a scratch in it.   After talking to Dell XPS tech support (who was very helpful by the way), I tried to order a replacement recovery disk but currently there was no information on when the recovery disks will be available with Vista SP1 already integrated.

Dell does show Vista Ultimate with SP1 available for purchase on the site, does anyone know when the Vista w/SP1 recovery disks will be available?

12.1K Posts

May 20th, 2008 20:00

Dell will not clue us members in on when it will be offered.  One would think it would be by now since SP-1 is now included with many of the others vendors that I'm aware of such as VelocityMicro systems, newegg and zipzoomfly and many others. 

Just have to keep on checking and maybe try someone else if the first tech guy tells you no, since maybe he/she is not aware of this but others may.

2.4K Posts

May 20th, 2008 21:00

AFAIK dell still isn't preloading SP1 on Vista systems yet. last check, dell was supposed to start preloading SP1 on Vista systems and provide Vista SP1 recovery media by the end of May

4 Posts

May 20th, 2008 22:00

Thanks for the replies. I held off on ordering the replacement OS recovery disk in hopes that I would get a copy with SP1.  I’m using a retail copy of Vista Ultimate w/SP1 on the machine listed below and when it comes time to reformat not having to install SP1 on a fresh OS is a big time saver.  

Message Edited by djt01 on 05-20-2008 07:48 PM

4 Posts

May 21st, 2008 00:00

If you have a recovery partition you can update it to include SP1 and other updates.

Before you begin it would be a good idea to backup the original image at D:\dell\Image\Factory.wim.

Where D is the recovery partition. Its a few GBs usually 3-4.

Procedure:

1. Restore your system and fully update including removing anything unwanted (programs) from the system.

2. Reboot pressing F8 as if you were to go into safe mode.

3. Choose to repair your computer.

4. Open the Command Prompt and type:

cd\tools (Enter) 

imagex /APPEND C: X:\dell\Image\Factory.wim "OS" (Enter)

The recovery system mounts the recovery partition as X which is usually D. Append will update the existing image of the C drive where the image is stored a X:\dell\Image\Factory.wim. "OS" is not required but it names the partition like it is in Windows in the original system configuration.

Message Edited by Spegs21 on 05-20-2008 08:24 PM

4 Posts

May 21st, 2008 18:00

Spegs21, 

Thanks for the response.  The recovery partition was wiped when I first received the laptop.  Reformatting with a fresh OS was one of the first things I did.

4 Posts

May 21st, 2008 22:00

You could possibly get the disk without SP1 and use VLite to incorporate it yourself as well as other updates. I am not sure if it is allowed with Dell OS discs.

http://www.vlite.net/

Tut: http://www.msfn.org/board/Tutorial-Build-Windows-Vista-SP1-x86-D-t114957.html

Message Edited by Spegs21 on 05-21-2008 06:35 PM

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2008 03:00

@Spegs21 wrote:

You could possibly get the disk without SP1 and use VLite to incorporate it yourself as well as other updates. I am not sure if it is allowed with Dell OS discs.

http://www.vlite.net/

Tut: http://www.msfn.org/board/Tutorial-Build-Windows-Vista-SP1-x86-D-t114957.html

Message Edited by Spegs21 on 05-21-2008 06:35 PM

I have used nLite before with retail copies of Windows but not with an OEM (Dell) OS restore disk.

It was suggested by Dell tech support that if I did not need to reformat right away that I wait a couple of weeks to make sure I get the replacement recovery disk with SP1 incorporated.

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2008 16:00

Guess you should just wait if none of these solutions suit you. I don't see why it should even take so long.

Message Edited by Spegs21 on 05-22-2008 01:00 PM

2.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2008 15:00

slipstreaming vista SP1 onto a vista SP0 DVD involves a lot of work. not recommended

13 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 04:00

I've been wondering this same thing, I've been wanting to upgrade the hard drive in my 1520 and I figured it'd be a good time to start fresh, but I wanted a disc with SP1 included and slipstreaming is a HUGE pain. Has anyone heard anything more on this?
No Events found!