Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 7th, 2009 05:00

WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE KIT: IS IT ONLY UPGRADE, OR FULL OS?

The topic is quite self-explanatoy: is the DVD delivered by DELL only an upgrade for Vista, or is it the full OS? I mean, what if I had to format my drives and install from zero. Will I have to install VISTA and then upgrade to 7??? Or may I just install 7 with the DVD sent by DELL? I need to know before I order it.

Thank you

109 Posts

November 7th, 2009 06:00

It is a full OS. I tried to install Windows 7 64-bit, but I had some problems with drivers but it was a successful install for the operating system, it accepted the product key.

When I reinstalled 32-bit, I did not let Windows reformat the hard drive since I had already re-formatted it. It went trough the full install, but I ran into a problem with the product key. It would not accept it and would not move forward with the installation. After searching the internet, I found out, that the installation would complete without a product key. However, it would need to be reinstalled because it is looking for a product key for a new install.

I found that strange since I was successful the first time. I went through the reinstall process one more time and tried to do what I did the first time. It seems, you must do a custom install and you must delete the "a" partition for a clean install and the acceptance of the product key.

I was expecting it to ask me for the CD for Windows Vista or 98, like they do with Microsoft office, but it did not.

2 Posts

November 10th, 2009 03:00

Dell kit comes with both versions? 32 , 64 bit?

No Events found!