Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 4th, 2009 02:00

Windows 7 RTM (Technet) - Consider replacing your battery - driver issue?

Hi,

I have an issue with Windows 7 RTM (which is available on Technet) running on a Latitude D830.
It has short battery lifetime, and Windows tells me the following :

"There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly"

and "Consider replacing your battery".

Now, when I re-installed Vista just to check, this problem is fully gone.
So it must be something in Windows 7, and presumably some drivers need an update (ACPI / Power Management) ?
(This is also mostly the conclusion from many posts you can find with Google on this subject, but no working 'fixes')

WIll there be Dell drivers coming for the Latitude D830 for Windows 7 ?

3.7K Posts

September 4th, 2009 02:00

Hi MadDog2K, Dell will release drivers, but not until the 22/10, when Win 7 goes on general release.

20 Posts

September 5th, 2009 05:00

Hi Robin,

Thanks, I'll just have to wait a bit longer then I hoped :)

1 Message

December 4th, 2009 12:00

having just loaded windows 7 on dell 1501 - and  we are now getting this message "consider replacing battery".  We have looked at the device manager for battery acpi, and the drivers are upto date - (2006) .  its the same battery / charger . Only windows has changed /

has anyone found a solution to this problem ?????

thanks  

July 30th, 2010 21:00

I get help from these forums so I figured I'd take the time to help back. Windows 7 seems to silently stop drivers from loading if they don't meet their standards- "Digital Signature" needs to be just so.

Anyway, I found help that I can't test now but wanted to share it:

http://www.howinthetech.com/disabling-digital-driver-signing-in-windows-7/

Opinion: Windows producers need to alert users, with as much enthusiasm as they stop piracy, to the fact that they will interfer with your expectations of "ease of use" and give the reason why (which are probably valid). At least then, people like me won't develope such hatred for their products. I mean it is hard work to search for answers as to why things don't just work- and work bettter since you're "upgrading".

Way way back when, Windows products made computers easier to work with... getting IRQs and Com Ports to run "automatically" and other integrations were made so seamlessly. Now, my god, it seems they try hard to do the exact opposite.

Chris

881 Posts

July 30th, 2010 22:00

I guess if you are (almost) the only dealer on the street (no, no NOT like a drug dealer:emotion-5:) you can pretty much do whatever you want to. Windows 3.1 - 95 was so cool compared to DOS. All the purty pictures and everything. Now most of us are hooked.

Jeff

July 31st, 2010 23:00

So yeah. I varified the directions in my link there. Windows 7 though, is still a nightmare in my opinion for not letting me try different ACPI schemes to finally get the charging function to see and charge the battery.

6 Posts

October 21st, 2010 03:00

I get help from these forums so I figured I'd take the time to help back. Windows 7 seems to silently stop drivers from loading if they don't meet their standards- "Digital Signature" needs to be just so.

Anyway, I found help that I can't test now but wanted to share it:

http://www.howinthetech.com/disabling-digital-driver-signing-in-windows-7/

Opinion: Windows producers need to alert users, with as much enthusiasm as they stop piracy, to the fact that they will interfer with your expectations of "ease of use" and give the reason why (which are probably valid). At least then, people like me won't develope such hatred for their products. I mean it is hard work to search for answers as to why things don't just work- and work bettter since you're "upgrading".

Way way back when, Windows products made computers easier to work with... getting IRQs and Com Ports to run "automatically" and other integrations were made so seamlessly. Now, my god, it seems they try hard to do the exact opposite.

Chris

I still wonder why though I already got it solved, Thanks for your answer!
No Events found!