Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2014 04:00

Windows 8.1 update not recognizing OS key

I'm having problem with activating windows 8.1 update.

I had to do a clean install from requested windows 8 usb key as I upgraded to an SSD that was smaller than the original HDD. Windows activation was successful.

I then ran the windows 8.1 update and now Windows activation fails,  ERROR CODE 0xC004C003

The windows 8 oem key from the new install is different from the original oem key, so i'm assuming that the UEFI key is not being accepted as it is linked to the original oem key.

I've run all updates dell updates, including BIOS to A05. There doesn't seem to be a problem in getting at the UEFI key ProduKey is able to display the UEFI key.

TLDR: windos 8 pro install from dell supplied usb(different from factory supplied OS), os successfully activated. Windows 8.1 pro update, cannot activate windows getting ERROR CODE 0xC004C003. BIOS up to date A05.

Any help much appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 19th, 2014 06:00

Get your product key using RW-Everything, some of the other utilities give an incorrect key which cannot be used for activation when the OS is upgraded from Windows 8.0 to 8.1. See the following for details:

5 Posts

January 19th, 2014 11:00

don't click on links above, bitdefender flagging them as unsafe.

might be an error, better safe than sorry.

No Events found!