Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2015 04:00

Windows 8 product key

Had my HDD die and no option to recover. Replaced the drive loaded a temporary windows 8 but have no product key what channels can I go through to retrieve this?

Thanks in advance

Model Dell inspiron 15R :emotion-2:

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 15th, 2015 16:00

They have no such record based on service tag. The service Tag is not stored in the bios like the product key is.

Run this in administrative command prompt.

licensingdiag.exe -report "%userprofile%\Desktop\report.txt" -log "%userprofile%\Desktop\repfiles.cab"

If you open an administrative command prompt and your bios HAS a key you can type this power-shell command in and it will show.

powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey"

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 15th, 2015 17:00

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 13th, 2015 06:00

The Product key is in the bios.

Windows 8 keys are encrypted stored in the Bios installed at the factory.  There are no more COA Stickers due to piracy. (OEM System Builder Versions Do Still have COA Stickers)

Windows 8 now comes with a Genuine Microsoft Label there are NO MORE Certificate of Authenticity (COA) Labels.

See the following examples of labels to look for.

Color-Shifting Ink
The color shift on the label is designed to change from one color to another when viewed from different angles,

making it easy to determine if it is genuine.

Windows 8: magenta to green

Windows 8 Pro: blue to purple

Windows RT: turquoise to purple

Genuine Microsoft Labels
Genuine Microsoft Labels

You could try Belarc Advisor.

I don't know if this shows the key or not. (Versions Higher than 8.3c do Show the Key)

Version 8.4 supports Windows 8.1

• Operating Systems: Runs on Windows 8.1, 2012 R2, 8, 2012, 7, 2008 R2, Vista, 2008, 2003, XP, 2000, NT 4, Me, 98, and 95. Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows are supported.
  • Browsers: Runs on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and many others.

However as you change versions by adding softpacks you should save the previous keys as they are removed and replaced with the PRO and MCE packs.  But windows will not clean install with an update pack so you need the original key in order to Install clean then do windows anytime upgrades back to PRO or MCE editions.

3 Posts

May 15th, 2015 16:00

No good unable to find anything Belarc picks up temporary license and nothing else. Surely Dell have a record based on the service tag?

3 Posts

May 16th, 2015 16:00

Spot on have the key and the correct media thank you :emotion-2:

No Events found!