Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2008 14:00

Windows Vista Administrator Password

Hi,

Just a heads-up to any new Windows Vista user:

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST TWO ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNTS WITH VISTA, OR THAT YOU BACK UP YOUR PASSWORD ON A THUMB DRIVE!  

I recently tried to change my Vista Administrator account password.  Vista asked me to enter my old password, then to enter my new password, and then confirm my new password.  When I did this, I got a message that read, "Windows Unable to Change Password."

Thinking I typed something wrong, I did it again very carefully.  Again, I got the same message, "Windows Unable to Change Password."  I tried it a third time, and this time I got the message, "Incorrect Password or User Name."  I was now completely locked out of my computer.

After more than 1 1/2 hours on the phone with some very helpful Dell Tech Support reps, (I am being serious) there was nothing that could be done except to reformat my computer.  Since I didn't receive and program disks when I purchased my Dell, everything was pre-loaded, the Dell rep had to send me all of the disks.

The bottom line is, I didn't do anything wrong!  I did exactly what Vista asked me to do.  This is a Vista software glitch.  Don't make the same mistake I made.  If you are locked out of your Windows Vista Administrator account there is nothing you can do except reformat your computer.  If you don't have your program disks, you will have to get them from Dell.  You need to make sure you have two administrator accounts on your PC, or back up your password on a thumb drive.  If you don't, and get locked out, you will lose all data stored on your PC.

I hope this helps, and maybe save you some headaches down the road.

12.7K Posts

January 5th, 2008 14:00

FYI,

scroll down to  " Important note for Windows Vista users: "

Your Idea is a good one, I have done this for a long time on all my installations of windows, this is also a good idea just in case your regular file becomes corrupt and unusable.

1.9K Posts

January 5th, 2008 17:00

There's an option to do a Password reset disk, I have used for test purposes, and works fine. I've never hd to use it because it doesn't accept a password for any of the users on the computer, but it may help for those who has a single account.

48 Posts

January 11th, 2008 02:00

Hi Everyone,

I want to thank you for this post, I never gave this a thought before. But when I saw this it hit me like a hammer, your right, if you only have one account and something happens your out of luck. As soon as I read the org post I ran and set up a second account. I am now looking at that link the 2nd poster posted. Also I looked up "Password" in the "Help Center" and here is what Microsoft says...
-
-

What to do if you forget your Windows password

If you forget the administrator password and don't have a password reset disk or another administrator account, you won't be able to reset the password. If there are no other user accounts on the computer, you won't be able to log on to Windows and will need to re-install Windows.

If you've forgotten your Windows password, you can reset your password by using a password reset disk or by using an administrator account.

2.4K Posts

January 11th, 2008 03:00

... and this is why we have things like TrueImage, Ghost, imageX, etc...

12.7K Posts

January 11th, 2008 03:00

"here is what Microsoft says..."

They are always wrong. :smileyvery-happy:
No Events found!