Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2010 01:00

cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk already contains maximum number of partitions

Hi,

A query - i am having Dell inspiron N5010 laptop, my OS is Windows(R) 7 Home Basic COA Label(INDIA)

I had a problem in my win 7 (Laptop was infected by virus and i cannot rescue my OS) so i reinstalled the OS using DELL Local backup. i am having warranty period of 290 days left..

1) After doing a restore using the Local backup restore DVD, After successful restore it is showing "BOOTMGR" file missing, what is the reason?

2) Then i did a factory restore - from this method i got my OS back as a new user of win 7 in my laptop - after that reinstalled my McAfee security center and it was licenced.

The problem is my Hard Drive Partition, Primary Size 60GB in C and left is D drive,  The D Drive where i had my files showing as "Unallocated Space".

with above partition 'recovery is another partition holding 10 GB',  so totally 3 partitions (1 is Recovery , 1 is OS(C drive and anotther 1 is the unallocated space)

Am not able to create a simple volume with this unallocated space due to the following error message

"You cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk already contains maximum number of partitions"

How do I fix this issue or bypass it with some other method to create partitions?

Is it possible to recover the files which i had in the D Drive?

please help in this regard...

Thanks & regards

chenthil palani

5.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 09:00

Windows does not allow more than four partitions to be created BY WINDOWS itself. You will need to get a third party partition manager to get more than four. There are a number of managers available, some free. Search the web for info.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 15:00

Restoring to factory settings completely wipes out your files. You can't recover your files from the D drive, but you can reclaim the space. In computer management, disk management, right click on the D partition and then select  "Mark partition as active." You should then have the 4 partitions you need. Or you can just extend the C partition to include all the unallocated space. You will then have a large C partition. Directions on how to do that HERE.

Disk management is under Administrative Tools. Lots of help there in that Help file. You are still under warranty. You should contact Dell Support.

No Events found!