Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2013 11:00

Inspiron One 2305, stuck on boot screen

Hello when I start my computer it just stays at the booting screen i can't use my keyboard tryed hiting F12, F2 nothing help

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 12th, 2014 19:00

If you had only one memory DIMM (or didn't have another known-good to swap with) and there is nothing connected to the system, I'd say the MB needed to be replaced.  You might try clearing the NVRAM/CMOS by removing the battery for 10 seconds or so.

6 Posts

January 13th, 2014 08:00

I tried removing the CMOS battery for (10 minutes) and even checked the voltage of it.

We could I even purchase a replacement MB?  Could I order from Dell?  It seems like this is not an isolated issue and Dell should cover beyond the 2-years.  It may keep loyals customers to return.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 13th, 2014 09:00

This "type" of problem is usually the memory, so it makes sense that you are getting a memory-related beep code.  However, if you have tried known-good memory in slot 1, and you still get the error, then it must be the memory slot/controller that is bad.

6 Posts

Thank you for the link.  The MB is beeping with at least two correct codes (no battery and no memory).  Does that help determine if the MB is in fact the problem?  But I also don't think the memory is bad due to swapping/removing/reseating.  Is there any other t/s I can do?

No Function keys work

Stuck at Dell Logo screen upon executing POST

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

"i haven't necessarily determined both DIMMs are good (although it's likely both went bad.)"

I agree (if you meant 'unlikely').

"If the slot/controller is bad, I assuming that means a complete MB swap?"

Yes it does.  If it is the slot(s)/MB circuitry, then the motherboard would need replaced.  Technically, the memory controller is on the processor, but it is MUCH more likely the motherboard components are bad than the processor.

6 Posts

i haven't necessarily determined both DIMMs are good (although it's likely both went bad.)  If the slot/controller is bad, I assuming that means a complete MB swap?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Many online suppliers have motherboards for it, although they aren't cheap:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Dell-Inspiron-One-2205-2305-All-In-One-AMD-System-Motherboard-0DPRF9-DPRF9-Fully-Tested/1233800135.html

It may not be an "isolated" issue, but unless it is a widespread or universal issue, they won't extend coverage on it. Among all OEM's, it has to be nearly a universal issue for them to extend warranty protection beyond its expiration, and it is usually once they have determined the problem device and got that manufacturer involved in the process (like with the faulty NVidia chips several years ago).

6 Posts

January 13th, 2014 12:00

yes, I meant unlikely :)

thanks for all the help.  now I need to decide if i want to undergo the pain of replacing the MB or take it to the dump for recycling.  such a shame considering it's barely beyond the 2-yr warranty.

1 Message

July 29th, 2014 04:00

I found another solution elsewhere:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-500128-pc-can-t-boot-pass-the-dell-splash-screen 

Worked like a charm for my Inspiron

@Official Dell support: any idea on the cause of this?

edited: for those who don't want to click through: remove power cable and mobo battery (in fact: I didn't have to remove it, I was able to simply disconnect it with a metal clip), reconnect and everything is fine again.

1 Message

April 29th, 2015 22:00

Let me tell you all what the real answer is. I am so frustrated about this. Our cpus are gone, done, fried. Bought a 1300 computer for a basic flaw. Since the back case is flat with no holes there is nowhere to pull in cool air for the fan. Therefore, it keeps sucking in the same hot air and the hot is is going into the heat sync and overheating it. Too all people who have an inspiron one 1305, please drill about a 2 in by 2 in hole in front of your fan so you do not have our problems.

1 Message

May 4th, 2015 18:00

I just unplugged the power cord, held in the power button to discharge the static. Then plugged it back in and pressed the power button once. Tada! Worked like a charm. Was just static build up.

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 10:00

I just had the same issue and the link above provided the answer! I just unplugged the power cord and held in the power button to discharge the static. Then plugged it back in and pressed the power button once. Tada! Worked like a charm. Was just static build up.

Glad it worked for you.  Not worked for me. 

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 10:00

Hello when I start my computer it just stays at the booting screen i can't use my keyboard tryed hiting F12, F2 nothing help

Same issue here, John.

3 Posts

October 24th, 2015 16:00

Are you paid to make comments like this? Is the third one, and like someone says : Worked for you, but not for us.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 24th, 2015 16:00

To which comments are you referring? With no context, your post doesn't make much sense.

No Events found!