Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2005 03:00

iPod Shuffle and Windows XP

Hi,

I am currently using Windows XP with Service Pack 2 on my Dell Dimension 8400.  I just got an iPod Shuffle and have followed the instructions to install the software.  However, Windows XP just didn't have any response after I plugged the iPod Shuffle in the USB slot, buth in the front of my PC and the back.  Does anyone have similar situation?

Any help will be helpful.

2 Posts

May 14th, 2005 06:00

Hello, I have the same problem. I bought yesterday two I pod shuffle. They are well recognisied from my 5 year old laptop but not on my five month old new dell dimension 8400. The software is absolutly new and i tried all usb ports. I started a request to the dell help desk and wait for the answer.

Best regards.

Marco from Germany

2 Posts

May 15th, 2005 07:00

Hello,

I think i've got a solution. The two front-side usb ports from the dell computer are to narrow for the ipod shuffle. The I pod shuffle ist to wide to fit exactly into the ports. In the back of my 8400 DELL there are further 6 usb ports. The first lane doesn't work because it doesn't fit. But the lower line has no limitations. So try this to bring the shuffle deep into the usb slot. On my computer there are only two ports who works. Hope it'll help. Feedback will be fine. Best regards from Germany. Marco

July 12th, 2005 02:00

To All: I am yet another member of this clan.  The I think I have a USB 2.0 port (only the two front ones on my Dimension 4500) but the iPod Shuffle for whatever reason refuses to communicate through the software (in this case iTunes 4.9).  Windows XP Pro version 2002 Service Pack 2.  My problem is I don't think any of my ports in the back will do (USB type 1.1 is a problem for the shuffle?).

Does anyone out there have any work arounds for a similar story?

28K Posts

July 12th, 2005 03:00

Which model computer do you have.  All USB ports are either 1.1 or 2.0  They don't install some ports as 1.1. and others as 2.0.  They will all be the same on the same machine.   Only if you have an older model computer would you have any USB 1.1 ports.

Steve

July 19th, 2005 00:00

I currently have somewhat older models.  My Dimension 4500 runs Windows XP Pro and my wife runs with a Workstation 340 with Windows 2000.  For some reason the iPod Shuffle only works on the rear USB ports (either model computer).  One of the earlier forum suggestions alluded to this - but I was a doubter.  I did not know this about the consistency of USB port throughout (although it does make sense). I thought I read something that indicated otherwise in the pdf users guide.  There ought to be an easy way to tell - maybe a USB check utility to tell you what you have.  Anybody knowing more about either these two computers and/or such a dream utility that I can download ... sharing knowledge is a beautiful thing.

9 Posts

January 24th, 2007 19:00

I've got the same problem on my Dimension 5100C, the IPod Shuffle is recognized by the rear ports but the front ones do not detect it. It is especially frustrating because it would seem that these ports were designed specifically for this type of device. It might have something to do with thier direct integration to the motherboard, as i believe the front ones connect by a cable.

Message Edited by ColeNads on 01-24-200705:10 PM

No Events found!