Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2010 17:00

problems repairing windows xp home edition on dell dimension 4700 11/27/10

HI,

I'm trying to repair the os on an older Dell Dimension.  Briefly, I ran a virus program to get rid of a virus and I think it must've removed some important files as well.

Now, when I log in, I get a blue screen with a fatal error with a series of 0's followed by '34'.  I tried to get in with Safe Mode, Last known good configuation,safe mode with networking.  The computer didn't come with a disk. Instead I see some documentation that says something like ' your pc didn't ship with o/s on CD.  Instead use the icon on the desktop to resinstall or repair windows'...... Well, I can't because I can't get to it.  I tried putting in a windows xp professiona. disk in there, but I never saw a 'repair' option. So, I'm at a loss what to do.   Any suggestions? 

I read somewhere that I can push ctrl shift and esc keys together to get to a prompt or task manager( can't remember), but I'm either doing that wrong or it doesn't work.

I think if I could get to the c:drive to access it I could run the restore program in the system32 \restore folder.  I spent quite a while trying to figure out what to do, but I'm out of ideas.  

I think if I can get a home edition of XP I might be able to repair it.  Do I just get it off of Microsoft site or should Dell provide me with that since I never got one?  Or, any other thing I can try ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 27th, 2010 00:00

mgallotti,

If you're the registered owner and live in the United States, then Request Backup Disks USA

If you get the disks, I can walk you through an Xp repair.

Rick

12 Posts

November 27th, 2010 09:00

I sent my request to Dell. Thanks a lot.

20.5K Posts

November 27th, 2010 12:00

Hi mgallotti,

I am sorry to learn of your problem, and I am glad that you have initiated order of the discs. However, I am interested in what anti-virus program you used and what your virus symptoms were. Some of malware does break the system if you try to remove it. This information might help others who may be dealing with the same issue.

12 Posts

November 27th, 2010 18:00

hi,

I had several messages about having a virus on my system. The entire desktop was covered with messages about viruses. I couldn't do anything. I had popups telling me to enter my credit card # to resolve the problem. the messages said that I had over 300 viruses on the system.  I use AVG which I have kept up to date. Somehow, something got through- not sure how or when. ..

20.5K Posts

November 28th, 2010 11:00

Thank you for the information.  AVG has had some problems lately, so you might want to consider installing a different free AV such as Microsoft Security Essentials or one of the others on the computer after you reinstall the OS.

Good luck with your project. :emotion-21:

159 Posts

November 29th, 2010 06:00

As you said, i think you see this error when you are surfing the net. If its true, its spyware in my opinion and i suggest you to download spyware doctor and test your computer with it. In trial version you can check your PC but i think it doesn't allow you to remove them. If it returns you infected files, then you can remove it using a anti spyware program. Also you can download and use  Spyware Terminator or SUPERAntiSpyware as both of them are free.

20.5K Posts

November 29th, 2010 07:00

bestis1980,  mgallotti will reformat/reinstall Windows after he receives the discs. He no longer needs malware removal help.

Please see these pages for

LISTS OF FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE  

FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE

Here is my standard list of simple steps that you can take to reduce the chance of infection in the future.

If you have used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as part of your cleaning procedures, keep it updated and use it to scan every so often for malware, or upgrade to the paid version for realtime scanning and auto updating.

The following suggestions are general prevention and are not customized for your computer. You may have already taken some of these steps, and depending on your current security, you may not need to implement all of these:

1. Visit Microsoft Update: Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for your operating system, Office, and IE. The first defense against infection is a properly patched OS from Microsoft Update at update.microsoft.com. More info HERE.

2. Please use a firewall and realtime anti-virus. Keep the anti-virus software and firewall software up to date.. Run a complete system scan with your anti-virus at least once a week...preferably in Safe mode.
If your anti-virus program is a paid/licensed version that is about to expire, you can consider using a free one such as:
Microsoft Security Essentials
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic
Avast! Home Edition

If you prefer not to use the Windows Firewall, there are several of the freeware Firewalls available on the public domain.

Please see this list for anti-virus, firewalls, and other FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE.

3. Using an alternate browser can reduce your chance of certain infections installing themselves. You might consider installing Mozilla / Firefox.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

4. Do not use file sharing. Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer. The reason for this is simple. File sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. However, this practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft. Even if you change those risky default settings to a safer configuration, the act of downloading files from an anonymous source greatly increases your exposure to infection. That is because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Many very malicious worms and trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P files sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities.

5. Keep your software updated...make it easier on yourself and install the free security tool Secunia PSI .

6. If you have not already done so, you might want to install CCleaner and run it in each user's profile: http://www.ccleaner.com/ ** UNcheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar that is checked by default for the Standard version, or download the toolbar-free versions (Slim or Basic) when given the option for those.

7. Web Of Trust , uses colored alerts to warn about risky websites warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:

• Red for Warning = STOP
  • Yellow for Use Caution
  • Green for Safe
  • Grey for Unknown

There is a Web Of Trust version for Firefox as well.

8. If you still wish to use Internet Explorer, please make sure you install SpywareBlaster:  http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
It will:
Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.
Tutorial here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial49.html
Periodically check for updates.

9. You might want to install Winpatrol. Winpatrol is heuristic protection program, meaning it looks for patterns in codes that work like malware. It also takes a snapshot of your system's critical resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without you knowing. You can read more about Winpatrol's features here.  You can download a free copy of Winpatrol or use the Plus version for more features.
You can read Winpatrol's FAQ if you run into problems.

10. Many of us in the online security community have tried and tested programs to determine their abilities. Please remember that there is no guarantee regarding computer security. However, the available software, combined with the rest of these recommendations will contribute to helping your system running safely.

Here are some helpful articles:
How did I get infected?  HERE

I'm not pulling your leg, honest?
by Sandi Hardmeier  HERE

11. If you use Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) you might want to stay informed at SpywareHammer's Forum for Social Media Security

Let us know if you need additional help after your reformat/reinstall.
Happy and Safe Surfing!

12 Posts

December 4th, 2010 14:00

Hi,

I tried repairing xp windows after I received the cds, but it failed.  I got to the point where the files were copied from the CD and then it reboots itself. The screen remains black,  no green lights flickering, no nothing.  I tried it a couple of times with the same results.  I guess my next step should be to re-install the o/s altogether?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 4th, 2010 15:00

mgallotti,

Did you???

Insert the disk and stop it from running.

Restart your computer.

Press any key to boot from CD

Choose install

Do the agreement

Now choose repair

Rick

12 Posts

December 5th, 2010 09:00

Sorry to say, same results. Nothing at all happens after the machine reboots itself. Screen is completely blank - no error messages,etc.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 5th, 2010 11:00

mgallotti,

With your files and folders backed up, then see if you're one of the lucky people that have a recovery partition installed.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

If not, then the other option is to reinstall the operating system. Longer process.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Please pay close attention to install the notebook/desktop utility and the chipset drivers first, or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

12 Posts

December 6th, 2010 14:00

hi,

When I tried repairing the o/s I did not use the option F6 for drivers.   (When I look at the drivers via the BIOS screen, it says that the drivers are' SATA'. Should I be using the F6 option or not? )

thanks-

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 7th, 2010 11:00

mgallotti,

Restart your computer and press F2. Enter the Bios.

Change onboard devices Sata operating from AHCI to ATA

Rick

12 Posts

December 11th, 2010 20:00

hi,

I was able to reinstall windows XP. The only problem I have now is that when I try to access the Internet, I have a message telling me that "This machine does not have any installed network adapters. The required network device may not have been installed."..   How should I resolve this? 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 11th, 2010 21:00

mgallotti,

The desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers need to be installed first, or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

No Events found!