Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

June 26th, 2008 22:00

re-installing windows

if this is in wrong spot, please move, but read whole thing first as im giving some detail about the situation before i get to the problem 

ok, i run a deminsion 3000, and so does my grandma, lately my grandma has been infected with a trojan ( will say the name and loc of troj when she is able to tell me ), i dont know how to find out a computer details like ram.. and everything like that, so im sorry i cant offer that, but everything on our computer is the basic drivers that this model type comes with, except mine came with a dvd-rom (?) ability, and i got my hard drive replaced about a year ago

well, we are both having problems with our cd-rom driver as it wont load read any thing, and the light doesnt appear when we try to run whats in it, along with it saying 'please insert disc' 

but the main problem lays in the fact that b/c of the cd-rom driver not being able to read the cd's, i am not able to re-install windows, ive tried everything i can think of, i am using the disc that dell had given me after my hard drive was replaced, and it still wont work on mine.

things ive tried to re-install windows :

1: cold booting it

2: opening my computer and clicking on the cd-rom drive ( was able to do it this way once before on my old computer )

3: clicking f12 going into the (reboot options?), and having it boot by cd-rom

4: clicking f2 ( utilities ) and going to the option 'OS install mode' and turned it on, then repeated steps 1-3

none of this has worked, now, i called my dad, and he has told me to try and format the drive by going into dos mode and typing the command promt 'format C:' or something in that area, i havnt tried this yet as he says it takes hours, and im not at my grandma's house and rather her not have to try and do something that takes hours unless i can be on phone whole time with her

if any one has any idea's or anything about how i am able to re-install windows ( was told by a computer geek as this is the only way b/c of har much the trojan has destroyed and the type of the trojan ) it would be greatly appreciated 

12.7K Posts

June 26th, 2008 23:00

Here is the proper way to re-install windows XP on that model, you don't need the CD to do it.

Back up (copy to a flash drive or external storage device) any data (pictures ect) that you need to keep before doing this procedure, all data (and trojans) will be eliminated during the procedure. After doing the restore, do windows updates several times to get all the security patches.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=3E48AE3870775D64E040A68F5B2877D4&journalid= 5002DE9E322E6194E040AE0AB7E14789&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag= &contenttype=&os=&component=&lang=&doclang=&toggle=&dl=

You may not be able to do this on your PC, since the hard drive was replaced. The restore program is stored on the hard drive from Dell. Most of the time when a hard drive is replaced, the restore program is no longer available.

If the cdrom does not work after the restore process, I suggest replacing it.

3 Posts

June 27th, 2008 10:00

ok, will try, thanks ^^
No Events found!