Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 23rd, 2004 00:00

the dreaded blue screen of death

Hey everyone-
First, I would like to thank all of you for your help with my other computer problems, now I've got another symptom.  The computer will shut off, a blue screen comes on and says a device driver is trying to corrupt the system and has been caught., and must be replaced with a working driver from the kernel stack.
Without getting too technical, how can I locate this faulty driver, and send it packin?  It does this very often.
Thank you again,
snppr

895 Posts

November 23rd, 2004 11:00

You can try this, go to Control Panel/Hardware/Device Manager.    A faulty driver may have a yellow sign signifying its faulty.  Make sure you open up all the folders.   If nothing is noted, you can see if you can get more information on the error by checking the event viewer.  It may give you the name of the device causing the problem.  Here are the instructions:

Go to your Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer Check under the System Tab for any listed error messages. If any are found, repost them in a new thread or go to http://www.google.com and input the error message in the search box to see if solution may be listed. Kip

895 Posts

November 24th, 2004 10:00

Try to research the error codes here http://search.microsoft.com/search/search.aspx?st=b&View=en-us

Or plug it into www.google.com  

You might pay special attention to any new hardware or software you have added that may correspond to the time frame you started having this problem. 

Verify that all your drivers are up to date.  Kip

8 Posts

November 24th, 2004 10:00

these are the error codes my computer puts up 0X000000C4  ( 0X00000090  0XFFDFF120  0X000000 0X000000 ) 

8 Posts

November 25th, 2004 15:00

I checked the event viewer, and saw under the source column, "redbook" "dhcp" "server" "event log" "save dump" "W32Time" "dnscache" I have no idea what these are.  I also dont know how to update my drivers...
No Events found!