Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2011 03:00

windows 7 in virtual machine

Hi

I should like to install Windows 7 in Virtualbox in Ubuntu. Is the additional DVD operating system (MUI) Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bits) sufficient to do a genuine installation of Windows?

thanx in advance

• 

17K Posts

November 14th, 2011 07:00

HarJ2,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

I found this information below.

VirtualBox supports 64-bit guest operating systems, even on 32-bit host operating systems, provided that the following conditions are met:

• You need a 64-bit processor with hardware virtualization support .

• You must enable hardware virtualization for the particular VM for which you want 64-bit support; software virtualization is not supported for 64-bit VMs.

•If you want to use 64-bit guest support on a 32-bit host operating system, you must also select a 64-bit operating system for the particular VM. Since supporting 64 bits on 32-bit hosts incurs additional overhead, VirtualBox only enables this support upon explicit request.

Virtualbox.org

2 Posts

November 14th, 2011 12:00

Thank you for anwsering

I had already find out, and I want to install a 64bit Ubuntu, so that's not the problem.

My concern is the lack of install media. The PC's which are sold nowadays are normally shipped without the operating system on an disk ( I am still of the floppy era :emotion-1: OS/2 on 16 or 20 floppydisks)

When ordering a Dell PC's you can choose for a DVD for system recovery. A system recovery is not a clean install from scratch. And that is what I need; A fresh install in Virtualbox without that horrible "This is not a genuine windows installation" or something like that.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 14th, 2011 12:00

My understanding is that the license (you might want to review the Dell/Microsoft EULA for yourself - as we replace our Dell OEM Windows 7 with a volume-license image, I don't have a Dell EULA to look at) is good for one licensed copy, be it physical or virtual.  Obviously automatic activation will fail, but you should be able to activate it by phone.

No Events found!