Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

5 Posts

August 4th, 2020 17:00

Wyse 3040 power supply voltage?

Hello, I've bought an used Wyse 3040 which came with a 12V power supply. It looks very similar to this one:

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/dell-24-watt-ac-adapter-with-system-plug-europe-and-5-ft-dc-cord-for-wyse-3040-thin-client/apd/492-bcpb/pc-accessories

The label on the bottom of my Thin Client itself reads 5 Volt, and Dell also seems to sell a 5V power supply with less watts :

https://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/PopupProductDetail.aspx?cs=fidhs1&l=en&c=fi&sku=492-BCDM

My question is: Are these interchangeable? Will I damage my unit if I use it with the 12V PSU?

8 Posts

August 20th, 2020 06:00

I've noticed the same, our latest 3040 clients come with 12v supply and 12v stated on the underside but our older 3040 clients say 5v on the underside and 5v on the supply.

Both plugs fit in both clients so I would also like to know if they are interchangeable. Otherwise it is just an accident waiting to happen that someone plugs in the wrong adapter.

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 05:00

Any update on this?

1 Message

October 26th, 2021 04:00

Any update on this?

1 Message

November 3rd, 2021 06:00

Update would be nice.... One of my interns just killed a 5v model pluging it in to a 12v adapter.....

38 Posts

December 9th, 2021 18:00

Wow, hate that I got here too late--they are NOT interchangeable.

In fact, there are many connectors for laptops and thin clients that look the same and can fit--but ALWAYS check what voltage and ampage is required on the unit itself before using the power supply.  You can get away with more or less amps (less might act funny), but voltage must be EXACT or you WILL kill units.

There is always a label on power supplies that says what its output is in volts and amps.  Most devices will have their input requirements somewhere on the unit, but if it does not--STOP.  Research the proper power supply and make sure yours matches what the correct one would be before attempting to power it.

Also, power supplies also have a polarity which is typically noted as a symbol with a plus and minus on each end of a line with a bulge or circle in the middle.  Even if the voltage and amps are correct and the polarity is reversed, you will kill the device!  Reversed polarity is a big no no!  It's like reversing the human food consumption and waste cycle orifaces--it won't work and will cause damage!

I hope this helps keep anyone from shorting out their gear.

No Events found!