Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B2

May 21st, 2015 02:00

Changing OS in T50

Changing OS in T50

Is there any way I can change operating systems in a T50? In particular I was hoping to change to *** small linux. I want to be able to run Steam, and test the new in-home streaming they have recently released.

So I presume I need to change OS to support this program or does anyone know how to get Steam to be operational off a sdcard or usb in the wyse operating system.

40 Posts

I'd like to know too, is it possible?

I imagine you'd need an ARM based OS, but in theory could you flash something like Raspbian?

623 Posts

The short answer is not from Dell Wyse. The T50 was designed to support Ubuntu Linux only and no other OS has or is being tested.

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

623 Posts

June 11th, 2015 05:00

This is an "ARM" processor. For Windows you require an "X86" processor.

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

623 Posts

The short answer is not from Dell Wyse. The T50 was designed to support Ubuntu Linux only and no other OS has or is being tested.

Roger Montalvo 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glad to see I'm not the only one wanting to do this. I have tried both usb booting and sd card booting. Both failing. But I am no expert in Linux and thought maybe I was doing something wrong. Doing research others have used other wyse thin clients and were able to flash a new os onto them. If you got any ideas how to do it Acra I am more than willing to test it on mine, if you don't want to on yours or have one.

Quote Originally Posted by shreya View Post
Thanks for this useful information...The short answer is not from Dell Wyse. The T50 was designed to support Ubuntu Linux only and no other OS has or is being tested.

So it is not possible to used a Windows OS on this device?

40 Posts

Yeah, RMontalvo, I can read. You already posted that directly above my question...

What I'm asking, is whether it is possible to install another OS - not whether it is designed or recommended or anything like that.

Essentially, with similar hardware I can install just about any ARM-compatible OS (for example, Raspberry Pi) - the biggest limitation is whether the drivers have been written for the hardware.

What I'm wondering however, is if Dell have purposefully 'locked-down' the hardware (possibly something at BIOS level) to prevent a non-Wyse OS installation.

When I try to live boot from a USB drive, it is never recognised unless specific Dell OS firmware is present.

40 Posts

I've looked into their equivalent of the BIOS, it looks like it's looking for wloader.cfg file, RAMDisk Image uInitrd and kernel uImage that don't exist in other distros (to get into the BIOS, hold Delete whilst booting instead of the 'P' key, password is still Fireport).
I've had an idea to try modifying an SD card bootable version of an ARM compatible linux distro, changing the syslinux.cfg to wloader.cfg and seeing where that gets me!
Thought about using some Raspberry Pi designed OS's, as they'd probably be the closest hardware-wise.

I'm also not an expert in Linux, I've done a lot of tinkering but mostly treading where others have gone before so the help is there!

I'll let you know if I get anywhere!

2 Posts

April 9th, 2020 14:00

Is it possible to install ubuntu or raspbian or debian or anything like that on it?

1 Message

December 3rd, 2020 13:00

somebody run any other OS

No Events found!