Highlighted
luxadmin
1 Nickel

Wyse 3040 ThinLinux Upgrade Security key failure

Jump to solution

Trying to test different versions of ThinLinux on a 3040. I have a flash drive configured with the USB Imaging Tool, and both 2.1.0.01 and 1.0.7.1 on the drive. I have also updated the BIOS to the latest version 1.2.5. When I boot off the drive and attempt to install either image, I get a security key error. There appears to be little to no information available for this error.

I have a support ticket open with Dell, but wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues that could point me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
luxadmin
1 Nickel

Re: Wyse 3040 ThinLinux Upgrade Security key failure

Jump to solution

I pulled the stock image from my 3040 test unit, copied the key from the xml file into the xml file on the image I downloaded. This allowed me to push the 1.0.7.1 image without issue.

The question is, can I push the image without a key? If not, how do I get the key? While I was playing around with this I wiped the partition table from the emmc storage, so I assume the key is stored in the BIOS/UEFI.

EDIT :

I noticed in the USB Imaging Tool that the image I changed the key on also changed it's icon. It was the standard Ubuntu logo, but now it is the Dell logo. This might be more universal than I thought. Will test with another unit.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If you are trying to update to 2.1 you may want to push this update to the device first.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/wyse-3040-thin-client/drivers

Application22 Jan 2019 Download 

Importance: Optional

Version: 1.0.0-14 ,1.0.0-14

Release Date: 28 Dec 2018

File Name: 3040-tl2.1-pre-upgrade-fix_1.0.0-14_amd64.zip

File size: 358.21 KB

Description: This package is supported on Dell Wyse 3040 thin clients and is intended for customers who want to install the preupgrade add-on. You must install the preupgrade add-on before upgrading the ThinLinux version from 2.0 to 2.1.

0 Kudos
luxadmin
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

That works as well. At least I know that either installing the package or manually changing the key is sufficient.

So now I have three questions.

1. Can I retrieve the key from the BIOS?

2. Can I remove the need for the key?

3. Why are people still using Dell Thin Clients?

0 Kudos
luxadmin
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

For anyone that is curious

Old key : 01090737

New key : 01090837

If you change this string in the XML and rsp files on the flash drive to match the client, it will install without issue. I was able to install 2.1 on a system without the patch, simply by changing this string.

0 Kudos